Halide Lights, Ballast or no Ballast?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefJeff

Hello Freiends,

I have been looking for a 36" MH -4 bulb T-5 setup with LED's. When I do a search, I see some fixtures that say with ballasts, and then I see some that are all built into one fixture like what you see on eBay (2-150 Watt 4 bulb)

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 styles?

ReefJeff

Some fixtures will have a "remote ballast." IMO, this is a better way to go, as you can put the ballast inside the stand, behind the stand, etc. The fixture will have wiring that plugs into the ballasts. This also reduces heat issues, as the ballasts create a lot of heat. Having that heat trapped inside a fixture can create issues.

Typically, the combo fixtures will have the fluorescent ballasts built into the fixture and the MH ballast will be remote.

Be wary of the less expensive fixture you see on Ebay. A lot of times, they're made with inferior ballasts, that actually under drive the bulbs. Also, it's critical to make sure anything you purchase is UL and CA listed. These listings will drastically reduce the chances of your fixture "bursting into flames!!" Okay, that may be a lil' over dramatic, but only slightly.

Thank you for the clarification. I guess doing your homework is better than to just purchase something because its less expensive. If it does not do the job, then it is a waste of money and time.

So what would be a good brand and what might one be expected to pay? It is for a 50 gallon reef with SPS.

Thanks you,

ReefJeff

Hopefully, someone with more Metal Halide experience will chime in soon. I run mostly T5s. I've ran MH in the past and have had the 36" fixture you're talking about. My fixture was a Corallife Aqualight Pro, 2X150MH. I would suggest, if your tank is going to be predominately SPS, that you look at 250w Halides, instead of 150w. I purchased it used, so am not at all able to give you price references. I do know that particular fixture has been discontinued, since. A quick search, of some quality 36" 2X250w fixtures, yields prices around $450-$500. In particular, a good fixture would be the Sunlight Supply Maristar, 36" 2X250MH with 2X39w T5HO

Do some research, check out any trusted LFS in your area and look through our Sponsor forums, http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/misc.php?do=page&template=sponsors Another great source, which I hope will become a sponsor soon, is reefgeek, http://www.reefgeek.com/

Back