Hamilton 14K vs. Reeflux 12K (250w)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kungfuchan2000

Cow In An Orange
Hi all,

Has anyone seen both Hamilton 14K and Reeflux 12K in action? The story is:

We recently upgraded our tank from 30gal Hex to 40gal "normal". I spent almost 4 months building the stand and canopy to the way I want, which also allow me to install a 250w MH with a 96w PC actinic. We are finally able to keep critters that we can't before such as SPS.

I am currently using a 10K Reeflux along with the actinic, which is quite great :)shock: incredibly amazed by the quality when you jump from PC to MH). Then we visit Blazer88 last week to pick up one of his frag and noticed that his 250w 14K Hamilton has a better appearance (our personal preference). So we are planning to get a "non-20K bluish bulb" to test out in our tank.

Then I also heard a lot of good things about the Reeflux 12K too. *Note, I am very satisfy with my Reeflux for what it is (10K), especially teh 450nm spike that really brings out the blue tips of my blue tip acro.

Any advice on which bulb to get or opinions to share? Thanks in advanced :p .

Welcome to RF!!! :) I run a 12K reflux bulb and in the beginning, I thought it was too blue for my taste against a black background, but after the bulb broke in and I saw what a 10K looked like, I'm loving the 12K reflux. Here is a link you might find very helpful in deciding on a bulb. You can change the brand of bulb and the kelvin rating to see which one you like. You'll have to give the page a few seconds to load. HTH:)

http://metricksystem.com/chris/250wcolour/

Back