• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Handicapped Yellow Tangs to good home!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rea17

Here's the back story on these guys: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/threads/66497-Yellow-Tang-Rescue-Fin-rot

It's painful to do this, but I need to see if anyone out there has room for a couple of yellow tangs that have some permanent handicaps. I have rehabilitated them as well as I can, and unfortunately, I can't keep them with my other yellows in my display tank due to some bullying. These guys look a bit "different," and I believe that is why they are singled out. My original plan was to house them in my future 210g refugium, but if I can find a solution for them sooner I will consider it. If you inquire, please do so knowing that these fish will always be blemished, and with the understanding that they will be going to a good (and large) home. I paid $20 for each of them, and it would be nice to get that back, but I can understand not wanting to buy an imperfect fish. They are both quite healthy despite being damaged, they eat well, and are disease free. Thanks in advance!

linked thread doesn't work for me...
are yellows ok in a 75? (i don't remeber offhand)

The thread is in "Marine Fish Discussion with Lee Birch" under Specialty Forums, and is titled "Yellow Tang Rescue - Fin Rot"

75 gallons is borderline for a yellow tang, I think if it is the only tang it would be ok.

I'd be interested in making the trip but I have a maybe 7-8 inch foxface who is king of the tank and his best buddy the blue tang can be a bit umm bossy. Any of the professionals here have any opinion on that combination?

I feed herbivores a strip of nori a day and use varied frozen/flake food combos for general feeding.

Tank is 125, pretty open rockwork, but I don't want to chance it if its a "risk".

cruzanm IMO you should be fine with yellow tangs. the foxface is pretty big, but being different species, he shouldnt pick on them very much and should only last a couple days if he does. I think the same goes for the blue tang. That is a hippo tang, right? or a carribean or atlantic blue? if its the carribean or atlantic blue, it will be much more agressive with another tangs.

Yeah, blue tangs=hippo in this case.

Thanks for the heads up. Will talk with the accountant (wife) about it.

Thanks for your reply cruzanm,

They are living with a foxface now and he ignores both of them, I would think they'd be fine. Are you interested in one or both? You can pm me to discuss it further if you like.

I am interested in both, but I have to apologize I think I underestimated just how far north Ferndale REALLY is. I live in Puyallup and that drive would be a little intense. Sorry. If you don't get any takers and end up going to the PSAS frag swap maybe we could meet there?

I'm not going to psas, but I might be going south next week to visit my parents, who live around Gig Harbor. I don't have a day nailed down yet, but if you are interested in meeting on my way down there let me know.

They are doing really well, the one with the more complete fins came to an "understanding" with the Foxface pretty quickly and they have been enjoying the tank since.

I'll get a better picture up and try and update their progress from time to time. My wife and daughter are not the biggest fans of the tank but both of them really like them so thats a double bonus for me ;)

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the update! Feel free to update their fin rot thread with more pictures once they get settled. I'm glad they went to a good home!

Back