Hang On Back Skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think any skimmer that is hanging on the outside of the display tank always has the possibilty of overflowing.

You will have many more options if you add a sump

I have been looking at the Eshopps, aquamaxx HOB and the SWC Mini. I didn't think the Aquamaxx could overflow then I read about someones that did. I may end up hooking up an overfloiw. I have a sump it just won't fit under my stand. My pump is also way oversized.

I just got the SWC Mini Hot skimmer and it does have the potentual to overflow. Mostly skimate. It's a pretty nice little skimmer, as far as hang on skimmers go.
I think I will figure out a way to set a small tub directly underneath it on the back of the stand, for the just in case.....
It will be completely hidden behind the tank.
But like I said, I think anytime you are pumping water outside the tank to a box hanging on the back of the tank, it can spill.

110_2346.jpg

I added this to mine for the cup side. I dont see why it couldnt be done for the reactor side also. Just run the tubing to a empty container or back to the sump

I've used the CPR Bak Pak series for about 8 years without any issues of overflowing. Currently have a bak-pak 2R and a bak-pak ps on two of my tanks and never any overflows.

Cheers,
Alex

It is a 29 gallon tank. I was leaning toward the Aquamaxx HOB1 but some said theirs overflowed onto the floor even though it has an outlet on the cup for a tube. I have everything for a U tube overflow except it is sized for a 75 gallon tank and up. ( 2 tubes and a Little Giant MDQX4) Too much flow and electric for a 29. :) I guess I could use 1 tube and a Mag 5. Right?

I just purchased an AquaMaxx HOB1 and it works great. IT has an overflow tube that dumps back into the chamber. See the previous discussion from wchill on Remora Skimmers.
Actually m ine idi overflow a little at first befotre it got broke in. I cut an inch long piece of clear tubing and added to the overflow connection to extend down to the top of the chamber. Works great now. If I need to move the collection cup down then I just remove the tube extension.

Overflow tube for AquaMaxx HOB1

See the clear tubing attached to the collection chamber overflow fitting? Works:rockon: great.
Ain't that some good lookin skimmate??

Attachments

• Skimmer overflow tube.jpg
    Skimmer overflow tube.jpg
    44.8 KB
See the clear tubing attached to the collection chamber overflow fitting? Works great.
Ain't that some good lookin skimmate??

Looks real stinky :) I was thinking your overflow was from pushing off the top. If you would have had the piece of tubing installed would you have still lost 2 gallons of water onto your floor?

NO it came from out of the overflow tube. The collection cup was sitting up pretty high leaving several inches between it and the opening back into the chamber. For reasons I don't understand, afetr doing a 20% water change the collection cup started filling very rapidly with clear bubbles/water. It was at such a volume coming out of the overflow tube it went all over the top of the chamber cover and onto the floor. After the skimmer settled down (as well as raising the collection cup even higher) the volume went back down. By the next morning it was working very well again bringing the good dark green stuff. With the tune attached, ifit does this again, it will all be directed back into the chamber overflow opening.

Thanks, If I don't hook up a sump I will probably order one. I have an old wet/dry but it is way oversized for my tank. I can't even get a 10 gallon tank to fit under my stand and my wife really doesn't want it in the floor beside my tank.

I own a cpr reef ready. It works great!
Also i own a hydor in tank skimmer....no problems with either!

Hi I received a CPR bac-pac with a 90 gallon I bought & they said it worked great. But it was already taken off when I got there as they were getting it ready for me to take home. Now I don't how to hook it back up :( Anyone have a web site I could look up or maybe a copy of your directions ???

I've used the CPR Bak Pak series for about 8 years without any issues of overflowing. Currently have a bak-pak 2R and a bak-pak ps on two of my tanks and never any overflows.

Cheers,
Alex

I have a 10G tank under my 29G tank. I was scary forcing it into the stand and I thought it might break but it did go with some coaxing.
One thing I havent seen mentioned in this thread other than one time.

If you are worried about overflowing onto the floor, you should consider buying a reef ready tank with internal overflow. An over the top "U" tube type overflow is just as likely to cause you massive water spillage onto the floor as a skimmer if not more likely.

Back