Hang On vs In Sump Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltguy21

Shmuck
I was just curious about everyone's opinion on where is best to put a skimmmer. I know cosmetically, the sump is a better option but it seems that there would be more waste and debris in the tank.

IMO, if you have a sump, then one of your functions of your flow would be to direct waste into the overflow which leads to the sump. If that is accomplished, then the sump would be the best place for the skimmer as all the waste should lead to it. Just a personal thought:)

I agree with Krish. The waste is all going to the sump might as well skim there. I have taken mine one step further and have my skimmer plumbed in directly to the overflow piping.

My in sump skimmer. (Thanks DonW for showing me I can make a skimmer that doesn't have to have a million nylon screws) :)

new_tank016.jpg

Last edited:
I also agree...and look at it this way...if you are using part of your sump as a 'fuge...you are trying to improve the water quality there...so it makes sense to skim before then.

I'd also like to see how you can plumb the skimmer into the overflow piping??

Here is a pic of my DIY skimmer. It's a recirc so I'm sure that helps as well. I thought about adding a ball valve to help control the amount of water going into the skimmer but realized that the gate valve on the output accomplishes this quite nicely.

skimmer002.jpg

thanks, it works better than any other one I've ever owned. And I think it was the cheapest to build.

Back