Hanna pH/EC/TDS/Temp Combo - Any good?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cajun Reefer

I'm curious if anyone has any first-hand experience with Hanna pH/EC/TDS/Temp Combo - Model HI 98129 ? I'm about to purchase one for about $135. I would like to use it to test the quality of the RO water that I have been purchasing from my LFS and Watermill Station. Also, I would like to use it to test my pH instead of color-coded test strips and drops. I will continue to use a Portable Refractometer to measure my salinity/specific gravity.

As for calibrations, I read in another thread that I should get the 7.01 and 10.01 calibration solutions as opposed to the 4.01 since my aquarium pH is about 8.2. Which other calibration solutions and ranges should I purchase? I'm also going to purchase some storage solution. Should I purchase some Rinsing solution or can I just use distilled water from the grocery store?

Thank you for your time and assistance.
-Dennis

HannapHECTDS.jpg

Specifications:

Range
EC 0 to 3999 µS/cm
TDS 0 to 2000 ppm
pH 0.00 to 14.00 pH
Temperature 0.0 to 60.0 °C or 32.0 to 140.0 °F

Resolution
EC 1 µS/cm
TDS 1 ppm
pH 0.01
Temperature 0.1 °C or 0.1 °F

Accuracy (@ 20°C/68°F)
EC/TDS ±2% Full Scale
pH ±0.05
Temperature ±0.5 °C or ±1 °F

Typical EMC Deviation
EC/TDS ±2% Full Scale
pH ±0.02
Temperature ±1 °C or ±1 °F

Id get seperate meters. com100 tds and pinpoint ph and if desired pinpoint salinity.

Don

Alrighty...HM DIGITAL COM-100 Waterproof EC/TDS/Temp Combo Meter it is. I found one new for $50.

What is the concensus on the:
Hanna pHep5 Digital pH / temp Waterproof Meter Tester for $50 ?

I need something ASAP to use with both my main tank and my QT...so portability is a plus. In the near future, I will more than likely purchase a Pinpoint pH Monitor for my main tank.

Which calibration solutions would I need for the EC & TDS ?

-Dennis

Alrighty...HM DIGITAL COM-100 Waterproof EC/TDS/Temp Combo Meter it is. I found one new for $50.

What is the concensus on the:
Hanna pHep5 Digital pH / temp Waterproof Meter Tester for $50 ?

I need something ASAP to use with both my main tank and my QT...so portability is a plus. In the near future, I will more than likely purchase a Pinpoint pH Monitor for my main tank.

-Dennis

I wouldnt do a pocket meter but thats just me. With somthin like the pinpoint you can put the probe in the tank and monitor all the time and move it to another tank if needed.

Don

Never mind...I'm going to just get the Pinpoint pH Monitor now. I can just move it back and forth when I need it which shouldn't be but every few weeks.

-Dennis

Never mind...I'm going to just get the Pinpoint pH Monitor now. I can just move it back and forth when I need it which shouldn't be but every few weeks.

-Dennis

You can get 342 from the filter guys.

Don

Thanks, guys! With an accurate pH meter (Pinpoint pH monitor) and TDS meter (Com-100 TDS meter), I should be able to have an easier time getting my tank in shape. As opposed to those funky drops and test strips.

:cool:
-Dennis

Remember when you read anything other than "0" TDS it is time to start changing filters, with the hand held or the in-line.

Unfortunately, I don't have a RO system. I've been relying on my LFS ($0.45/gal & 5 miles away) and a Watermill water filling station ($0.25/gal & 1/2 mile away). I wanted the TDS meter to check their quality of water. I plan on testing the water with the TDS meter and a nitrate test. I'll possibly look into a RO system next year. I need to concentrate on my main tank's water flow and quaratine tank right now. And my ich, and my 20 different kinds of nuissance algae, and my nitrate factories, and...you get the idea!

Thanks,
Dennis

If you can use distilled or any of that purified water It should be good but like mentioned a pain to continually go out to get it!

It's not that bad with four 6-gallon jugs. I don't find that it's too pricey at $0.25/gal. My only concern is how often and how well do they maintain the water station. Of course they put a sticker on the station daily indicating that it has been serviced. Sometime next year, I'm going to research RO's. My concern is the cost and the limited space that I have for such a system.

Help w/ Com-100 TDS Meter

DonW said:
Id get seperate meters. com100 tds and pinpoint ph and if desired pinpoint salinity.

Don

Scooterman said:

Alrighty, guys! I got my HM Com-100 EC/TDS/Temp Combo Meter in as well as some TDS 342 ppm Calibration Solution as y'all recommended. :cool:

Calibrating the unit looks self-explanatory as the manual handles that well. My questions is how do you use it to test your RO water? I noticed that there are 3- EC modes and 3- TDS modes. I'm assuming that I will be using the TDS setting first of all but which mode (KCl, 442, or NaCl)? Is there anything that I should know before I begin using it besides making sure there are no air bubbles trapped on the electrodes but swirling? Also, are there any other uses for aquarium testing that y'all use it besides testing the quality of your RO water?

I was able to pickup the Com-100 meter for $49.99 shipped and two 3 oz. bottles of 342 ppm solution for $15 shipped.

Thanks, :D
Dennis

Back