Happy Dance

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My2heartboys

OK, dealing with this with a little disbelief..........but Happy dance time.

After a week of fighting with my Mg levels, it is finally where I need it. :shock: I don't really need to do anything to the tank today-but watch it. :)

Here are the latest levels.

Time 7:43
Temp 77
SG 1.025
pH 8.2
Alk 12 degrees
Amm 0
Nitrite .05
Nitrate 0
phosphate 0
Cal 420
Mg 1370

BTW-I think I found a brittlestar in my tank last night and I know that it already eats leftovers, but is there a special food that it would go for as a treat. Want him to know that I know that he's there, but don't mind (as well as I will try to target feed him now and then just so he doesn't eat his tankmates).

Anne

looks good - is your alk dKH? As far as the brittle star goes....is it one of the mini ones? If so, no need to target feed anything. It will get left overs and be able to find food on its own. Also, it might not like to know you are there ;) .....you are a big being, and the same type of being that removed it from the ocean :D.

NaH2O said:
looks good - is your alk dKH? As far as the brittle star goes....is it one of the mini ones? If so, no need to target feed anything. It will get left overs and be able to find food on its own. Also, it might not like to know you are there ;) .....you are a big being, and the same type of being that removed it from the ocean :D.
Yes, alk is the same as dKH. So far the brittlestar is quite small, but would still love to treat it to something it especially likes now and then. You do make a good point, though about it being disrupted from its home.

Anne

If you let the alk drop some, you'll have less issues with the Mg. What prompted the need for the 12 DKH level?

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
If you let the alk drop some, you'll have less issues with the Mg. What prompted the need for the 12 DKH level?

Cheers
Steve
There was not a need for it, it just happened while I was trying to get the mg up. I will try to let the alk drop a little--what should I let it drop to? Mg levels didn't last long. This evening my level dropped to 1175.

Will administering a drip of kalkwasser lower my dKH? I have some from Kent that is in powdered form. OK, I know this stuff is some strong stuff (which is why I'm so hesitant to administer it), but is it entirely possible that by administering a drip of this somehow bring all of my mineral levels into line?

My tank is roughly 45 gallons and my Kent doser allows for approx. 1000mls of liquid--how much should I give?

Anne

My2heartboys said:
There was not a need for it, it just happened while I was trying to get the mg up. I will try to let the alk drop a little--what should I let it drop to? Mg levels didn't last long. This evening my level dropped to 1175.

Will administering a drip of kalkwasser lower my dKH? I have some from Kent that is in powdered form. OK, I know this stuff is some strong stuff (which is why I'm so hesitant to administer it), but is it entirely possible that by administering a drip of this somehow bring all of my mineral levels into line?

My tank is roughly 45 gallons and my Kent doser allows for approx. 1000mls of liquid--how much should I give?

Anne

Kalk is not going to drop your alk. It adds balanced alk and ca, also increases ph. Just let it fall a little by itself and watch the ca while you wait.

Don

DonW said:
Kalk is not going to drop your alk. It adds balanced alk and ca, also increases ph. Just let it fall a little by itself and watch the ca while you wait.

Don
OK, but what about my magnesium??????

Anne

For light or infrequent increases in Mg you can use epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate). For large or frequent dosages, use a proper Magnesium Chloride additive.

This calculator will tell you how much to add based on the water volume. Just be sure the levels are tested as you have been before dosing.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
For light or infrequent increases in Mg you can use epsom salts (Magnesium Sulfate). For large or frequent dosages, use a proper Magnesium Chloride additive.

This calculator will tell you how much to add based on the water volume. Just be sure the levels are tested as you have been before dosing.
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Cheers
Steve
Thank you Steve. I am too leary to use epsom salts and am going to switch over to as many dry supplements as I can. Ideally I would like to have one good all-in-one that would include trace elements, calcium, magnesium, and buffer. I currently use IO mix and really don't forsee us changing that. I'm too chicken to, I guess.

Is there a particular reason for the chloride version Magnesium?

Anne

My2heartboys said:
Ideally I would like to have one good all-in-one that would include trace elements, calcium, magnesium, and buffer. I currently use IO mix and really don't forsee us changing that. I'm too chicken to, I guess.
I would not suggest dry additives then. Your best option barring kalk are two part liquid additive (ESV, C-Balance et al). They will add most of the necessary "trace" your looking for as well as maintaining your alk/Ca levels. If you use a dry product at all, best for once in a while corrections, not daily maintenance.

Is there a particular reason for the chloride version Magnesium?
Chloride is the larger component of seawater so large additions (of epsom) can throw off an otherwise balanced ionic mix (elevated sulfate and other impurities). The MgCl being a natural component of seawater will help keep things in check...

Magnesium in Reef Aquaria

Cheers
Steve

The first critter I found in our tank was a small Brittle star,a hitchiker with live rock.Named her Mollie Brown,(unsinkable). If you want to treat yours, go to your local supermarket get a Little Neck Clam in the seafood dept (about .30 cents the grocer will think your nuts).Cut off some tiny pieces of meat and freeze the rest.
Brittles are carnivores and it will go bonkers for the clam. A piece about 1/16"
is enough at each feeing.
They are also very shy and you will rarely see it. Mostly just the arms poking out from under a rock.

davidh202 said:
The first critter I found in our tank was a small Brittle star,a hitchiker with live rock.Named her Mollie Brown,(unsinkable). If you want to treat yours, go to your local supermarket get a Little Neck Clam in the seafood dept (about .30 cents the grocer will think your nuts).Cut off some tiny pieces of meat and freeze the rest.
Brittles are carnivores and it will go bonkers for the clam. A piece about 1/16"
is enough at each feeing.
They are also very shy and you will rarely see it. Mostly just the arms poking out from under a rock.
Thank you, I will look for some.

Anne

steve-s said:
I would not suggest dry additives then. Your best option barring kalk are two part liquid additive (ESV, C-Balance et al). They will add most of the necessary "trace" your looking for as well as maintaining your alk/Ca levels. If you use a dry product at all, best for once in a while corrections, not daily maintenance.

Chloride is the larger component of seawater so large additions (of epsom) can throw off an otherwise balanced ionic mix (elevated sulfate and other impurities). The MgCl being a natural component of seawater will help keep things in check...

Magnesium in Reef Aquaria

Cheers
Steve
Sorry, should have made myself clearer. The all-in-one ideally would contain not only the vitamin supplement, but also the essential elements and the iron and iodine. Besides that one would be the calcium, buffer, strontium, and magnesium.

I know that it could just be a pipe dream, but, I am looking anyway and will be closely looking at labels before jumping in and buying anything.

Anne

Back