hard coral, not sure of species

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
Had it come in on some live rock a few months ago, didn't do too well, seemed even stardard lighting (80 watts in 60g) was too much for it, now it has surface algae and the shaded areas seem to be hanging ok on but not thriving.

Well look at it this way. You got what you were wanting, Good live rock! I don't think its the lighting that is killing it off. I would test the water. That sand bed looks funky in the picture. Do you have a full tank shot?
The coral looks like a Pavona_duerdeni but i could be wrong. I am not fully versed in sps just yet but working on it :)
Check out the Coral/Invert Gallery up top.

well, the lighting issue is a difficult one to figure out. I had 80 watts of standard flourecent on the old 60 tank, and wherever the light hit the coral, it didn't do well, only the shaded areas looked good, Even at the bottom of the tank. I couldn't find it in the id section.

You know jeff, I looked at your pic today after we discussed the coral. From the pictures it looks like you have a former corals exoskeleton with purple coraline algae growing over the top of it. The coraline may be receeding due to the change to your new tank.

It looks like it may have been a favia or moon coral.

Mat

the corallum here bears a strong resemblence to Hydnophora species, as best I can tell.

Please proffer a full frame image of a corallite or just a few if possible.

Mat- allthough there is some growth of coraline on the top surfaces, the coral itself is still very much alive, look at the first picture and you can see the red-pink color of the side that is sheilded from direct light. There used to be a bright green as well, but that seems to be harder to see in the last month.

Anthony, hope these shots help

still tough to say... though you should see fluorescence under actinic light only if there is any tissue alive at all. For fun FL gear, do check out the equipment at www.nightsea.com (you can see larvae and coral polyps with this gear weeks/monthsbefore the weaker aquarium actinics will let you spot the same critters)

So, I still don't exactly know what it is, but can anyone shed some "light" onto what I may need to the phototophic needs of this species?

After doing some research, I don't think its a favia or Hydnophora species. If it helps, it has an umbrella shape to it, a extended ledge that protrudes over the rock it is attached too. Any suggestions of any sites or other info that can help me figure out what this is?

youmust look at images of the skeleton... comparing skeleton to skeleton. Tissue covered Hydnophora looks nothing like its corallum. Please trust me on this.

See the works of Veron or Woods for pics of skeletons. Perhaps your local merchants have these books on their shelves. Great books to have on hand too (do consider)

Still Haven't figured it out, I can't really find anything that will help me either at this point. I do know that a large portion of it is just growing coraline and green algea on the surface directly in the light, while the sides remain light pink. Too much light I suspet.

Back