hare alge

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If it's bryopsis, I used tech-m. Worked great except it bleached alot of my lps and softies in the process. They're getting their color back and I've been doing alot of water changes. The water changes seem to be doing the trick more then anything else I tried. Try to remove as much as you can by hand/syphon. Most importantly try to find out what you're doing that is fueling this stuff...ie over feeding or overstocking your tank. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be but hang in there.

remove as much algae as you can manually, do some water changes with good RO/DI water, cut back on feeding, use carbon and skimming, and replace your lightbulbs if they are too old...

Mark, you need to find the source before you can control it. Describe every detail of your system and what are your current parameters? How long have you been set up, do you have a sandbed, what kind of flow, what kind of water, skimmer, feedings, corals, cleaners, fish......everything man. I had a horendous battle with HA a good 6mths or so ago. Was phosphates, which imo is usually what the problem is.

I dont know your system. I know I had a lot of hair algae and i mean a lot. Soon as I introduced Phosban it died.... I had to literally pick off by hand the chunks though...the remaining algae was too short to grab.... it soon went lime green and died... as I water changed I used a tooth brush as I siphoned ... It has not come back since... I keep Phosban use going since...

All the algae problems I have read about...most people had high phosphate levels... also I read because of the large amount...your nitrate and phos readings will be way off because of the feeding being done by the algae... most likely even if you say you had low nitrate or phos levels...they are most likely very high but being used up and feeding the problems.

Main source of Algae problem is high amount of food and fertilizer...Nitrate and Phosphates.

PS Luke for example had Phosphate issue...

Back