Harlequin Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

biocube14

I think these are awesome, but I read that you have to feed them starfish? What do you guys feed yours?

Thanks!

Chocolate chip starfish. They are not reef safe so becareful putting them in. I usually cut them up and feed a leg at a time. Leave the rest in the sump in a breeder's cup so it won't crawl everywhere in the sump

I'm feeding mine the rest of a sand sifting star till it's gone then I'll go to chocolate chip
And yes I keep the star in the sump!

for now the one in my 29 has been making fast work of all the little blue/white pest star fish.
As for the one in my 125 I feed it like one a week with about 1" of star fish leg.
I don't know if that's enough??
Good question.
Someone else with more experience should chime in.

Once mine became fully grown (after about a year) he would eat a full choclate in about 3 weeks. I am not sure if feeding them more or less at a sitting is better.

*Also, I would like to know their longevity becuase mine only lived for about 3yrs.

Thanks, and good luck

-augustus

Hopefully HereFishy will chime in. I don't know if he still has them, but he had an amazingly beautiful pair at one time. I think he's got quite a bit of experience with them. I've often wondered about getting a pair, but worried about knowing if I was feeding it enough or not.

The bigger the shrimp, the more they eat. The are an excellent cure for tanks with too many astarina stars. Feed them a CChip star once every few weeks. Can buy 4 stars, and revolve them in your sump re-growing previously consumed legs. You know they are hungry when the come out in the open waving their antennae at you

Last edited:
Back