Has anybody tried coralife salt mix?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xxkenny90xx

I'm looking to switch from io to a more reef suitable salt and my research is showing that coralifes salt mix is very comparable to reef crystals but is much cheaper and comes in a cheesy looking package so is often overlooked reefers. Anybody have experience with this salt mix? Also, how would you recommend going about switching salts so I don't shock my system? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

If your are switching, don't make any massive water changes and you should be fine. 20% or less of total volume for the first 4-5 water changes. That said, I don't know anything about that mix. I can recommend however if you want a high quality salt, grab an empty bucket and go see Rob at Red Sea in Shoreline. He can sell you Aquavitro Salinity at a good discount if you bring your own bucket as he buys in bulk.

I've been using salinity but it's pretty spendy considering I can get a 5 gallon of Red Sea coral pro for 10$ cheaper than a 3 gallon of salinity. Salinity is a great salt and mixes to exactly 1.026 for 120 gallons where as most are only measured to 1.021 or somewhere close. From the research I've done most salt brands are actually the exact same salt just each manufacturer adds their own crap to it. Done one water change with coral pro and so far I like it.

I'm looking to switch from io to a more reef suitable salt and my research is showing that coralifes salt mix is very comparable to reef crystals but is much cheaper and comes in a cheesy looking package so is often overlooked reefers. Anybody have experience with this salt mix? Also, how would you recommend going about switching salts so I don't shock my system? Thanks

I've been using IO in my bigger tanks for decades.
But I have been curious about other salts every once in a while.
One of those times was when coralife salt came out ( or their advertising budget got bigger).
I tried it for a few months in 2 different tanks. Went through a couple 160 gallon buckets.
At first it seemed ok, but after a while I started having problems with algae. Nothing else in the tank had changed.
So I went back to IO.
I used carbon and gfo, and a few extra snails and hermit crabs and was able to win the battle with the algae.
Once the algae was gone, I just keep using the IO.
If you are shooting for Reef Crystals numbers, then just use Reef Crystals.

If your are switching, don't make any massive water changes and you should be fine. 20% or less of total volume for the first 4-5 water changes. That said, I don't know anything about that mix. I can recommend however if you want a high quality salt, grab an empty bucket and go see Rob at Red Sea in Shoreline. He can sell you Aquavitro Salinity at a good discount if you bring your own bucket as he buys in bulk.

Thanks for the input, small water changes it is. That's a great idea, I wonder if any shops in the tacoma area offer discounts if I bring a bucket. Mfinn do you remember about how the coralife salt tested when you mixed it up? That makes me hesitant hearing about your algae blooms but I may try it if all the levels tested well. Or I may end up just going with reef crystals but I'd like to save some money if possible. Maybe I'm too cheap and I should just sell my tank and get myself a nice goldfish bowl :D

I don't test much now.
I probaly didn't test any of the coralife salt.
I let the tank tell me by watching it.
Over the years it seems like every little varition in a test would send me into a round of more tests, experiments with this product or that one.
In my softy tanks, I have found that regular water changes kept things surviving and growing, and when I start changing up the routine, is when I have problems.
IO salt is usually on the cheaper end most everywhere.
But I buy it in the 200 gallon boxes, so it comes cheaper by bulk.

Having said that I do have a small lps/sps tank that does have a little calcium demand and I use Reef Crystals in it.

I switched from IO to Reef Crystals and for the last 3 years I use Kent Reef Salt. I get good numbers and from Foster & Smith I get it for $44.95 and then spend another $5.00 and they ship it for free. Also the last 2 years, last year and this year, Barrier Reef has put it on sale for $39.95. I was told that it is the salt that Barrier uses and also it is what Saltwater City uses and it has been a good performer for me.

+1 for Kent reef salt. I have been using it for two years now. I like how it tests out, its very inexpensive, and readily available (at least down here).

I did very briefly try IO reef crystals but my corals did not like the salt so I quickly went back.

Back