Has anyone been to thailand?? Where are the best dive spots?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Salsaking

Salsa soon in Safeway!!
Heading to Thailand in later Feb. Anybody have any experiences with diving there? Would love some feedback from you good people. I will be traveling south of Thailand. Please, feedback would be great.

Eric

Salsaking

Never been there but would love to see a write up of your vacation when you return. Thailand is on my short list of vacation destination spots.

I dive arround pataia afew time. It is better when there is low touris season and no rain. As the local dive shop to bring you to Shark Fin Rock. It is actually an hour drive away from Pataia. The only thing there is a fishing village and it smell of dead dry fish. They would pack you in an old wooden fishing boat and take you out to this giant rock stick out of the ocean. Water is crystal clear. Lot of hard corals and a good number of them are the size of a small car (Single colonie) and the largest field of Giant Anamones I ever seen. It seem to go on forever. Hang out on secluded beach for lunch and get your tan on then they take you for more dive of other site like sunken ship. One of the best dive trip I ever did in Thailand.

If you are going south, check on line with the local shop. When you get there tell them what you want to see. Most of the divers just want to do more technical dive and want to go deep. I don't like it becasue when you go deep, there is not much to see and it generally wipe you out. I like shalow dive where I can look at fish and corals.

If you do go you have to stop by and see chingchai's tank. just ridiculous wish i could see it in person someday.

I thought that guy live in Chang Mai and that is way up noth and in the middle of Jungle and no way near the ocean.

I thought that guy live in Chang Mai and that is way up noth and in the middle of Jungle and no way near the ocean.

I dont know where he lives, I just know he live is thailand. Bangkok, thailand actually.

Last edited:
I just got back from Thailand a few months ago. For diving I would head South towards Phukett. Pattaya is an area you may not ever go diving in.... The water there is muddy so you will need to rent a charter to go out farther for clear water. Phukett is really nice, but like Bankok you will pay higher prices. Do not get too far south however as there is open conflict in the area.

i have not been bcak to Thailand for more than 10 years,,so i'm lost about good diving place at this point southen of Thailand like Khabee,Phungya and Phuket on the indian ocean side for sure,this the some info i found
http://www.dive-the-world.com/diving-sites-thailand.php?gclid=CMHV8t2jwp8CFRKiagodlEs_zw
i can get in touch with friend who still active dive all the time ,,so stay tune i might be able to get good diving place info for you.

scuba or skin,,,and how long will you be there,,,one day trip or couple days trip i got a lot of info now,so i can get you to the right place

Last edited:
I just got back from Thailand a few months ago. For diving I would head South towards Phukett. Pattaya is an area you may not ever go diving in.... The water there is muddy so you will need to rent a charter to go out farther for clear water. Phukett is really nice, but like Bankok you will pay higher prices. Do not get too far south however as there is open conflict in the area.

You are right about Pattaya. The dive shop charter a large boat and we went way out to some of the island. We also drive away from Pattaya to get better water.

What are they charging you per tank in Phukett?

I just got back from Thailand 2 weeks ago. Spent time in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. I don't dive but Phuket is supposed to have some very nice dive sites. Most of the sites seem to be run by expats, most Australian. Beautiful place, lots of extremely nice places to stay, friendly folks, and its not 40 and rainy all the time. I'm still peeling from my last day on the beach. If you're going and have a capable cell phone take it and buy a sim over there. I paid 300B (about $10USD) for a sim and had service the entire time I was there, including international calls. They hand them out at the airport with 10B on them and then you can refill it at any 7 Eleven.

BTW...Ching Chai lives in Bangkok. I have his cell phone number if you're going to be in BKK for a few days and would like to try to see his tank.

Mike

Last edited:
you guy make me home sick:(
hope you can read it:D
ถ้ามีเวลา 4-5 วัน หาเรือ liveaboard ไป สิมิลัน บอน ตาชัย สุรินทร์ เลยครับ
4-5 day liveaboard samilan bon tachai Surin beach
ถ้ามีเวลาน้อย ไม่ได้จอง หรือหาที่จองไม่ได้ ไปภูเกต หาเรือ daytrip ไปสิมิลันครับ
1 day trip go to similan island
หรือ ถ้าอยู่เที่ยวแถว กระบี่ - ลันตา ไป daytrip ที่ห้าใหญ่ หรือ หินม่วงหินแดงครับ
or Khabie-Lunta island

all above for skuba only

ถ้าเป็นแบบ skin dive ลองไป ตะรุเตาครับ สวยที่สุดแล้ว
skin dive //Tarutaua island

search on google under name it will give you all in fo needed.,,i wish i can go with you and show you around and you will neved forget Thailand:):D

Last edited:
you will neved forget Thailand:):D

That's is the truth....thailand and all of SE asia is amazing. I spent 3 months in Cambodia this summer. Please be careful and remember Negotiate negotiate negotiate. It is asian culture over there to start really high. Negotiating is expected. If you start at 900B you counter offer with 250...you'll endup arounf 650-700 ish maybe.

Last edited:
Back