Has anyone done a split tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pewpewlazerbeam

fish in cycler
What i mean by this is a very large tank, 1000+ gallons with corals in one section and lighting for them in that section and much less (read cheaper) lighting elsewhere. I dont see any obvious pitfalls with doing this but does anyone else?

I don't see where there would be a problem. I've seen a couple of tanks where there was subdued lighting except for a couple of SPS that were Spotlighted... really a pretty cool effect.

You still need that glass dude? I tried to get with you about exact sizes and didnt hear back. Offer is still good.

Yeah so my plan ( and this is years in the future) is a huge in wall tank with faux rock ( my step dad can make the stuff they use at disney world).

Id like some awesome corals in a shallower part of the tank, but really dont think i want to follow the 6 watts a gallon ina 1000w tank where only a part of it has corals.

I thought I had sent you those measurements.. sorry about that.

and what might look really cool is a drop off effect. 1/2 the tank sand bed then a steep incline to a shallower area.. perhaps even a cryptic/cave area that you could see in to under it. Could do it all w/ T-5s and keep a managable power bill that way...

....like I have any clue what a managable power bill is...

Back