Has anyone had clown eggs hatch in their main tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I have a bottle of live rotifers is there any chance of spot feeding the hatchlings in my main tank? I realize I would have to turn off the pumps for a time. The eggs are due to hatch tonight.
Insane question but wondering if anyone had tried this?

depends o I would guess on what other fish you have in the tank and also flow and what not. other fish may eat them also dependso on how good they can hide. but most likely fish food. most clowns in many hobist tanks will lay eggs and then will be come fish food after so often.

You will not be able to feed them enough in your main tank with out a crash in a few days. Depending on your filtering system they will probably be all gone by morning between the fish eating them and getting swept away into your filter or sump.

I've heard of a Bangii cardinal hatchling surviving in the sump (on another forum) unknown so depending on the tank it *might* be possiible. I've never been motivated enough to try and catch fry.. but I assume they hatch w/ my screw ball pair of clowns. Never seen new ones show up in the tank though.

must remove to have a chance I used to raise some best way is to remove rock they are on day before hatch or if not possible turn pumps off on hatch night and check 1 hour after lights out use flashlight fry will go to the light then use a ladel or carefully turkybaster them out then float a tuperware bowl in sump with tank water and just slow air bubbles no air stone and feed rotis often if you make it past day 3 and still have some I would start looking for baby brine to hatch and start to offer the survivors that after day7-10 along with rotifers takes practice and is labor intensive lots of feeding and water changes

If you know they are going to hatch out tonight you can siphon off a couple dozen fry out from thier eggs just before lights out. You can either have a brood tank ready or just siphon straight down into fuge where there is small chance of survival. In past years I've had one or a few make it that way. The trick is not to be to greedy and save all 100-300 at once. If the fuge is well stocked with macro & pods you should start to notice any survivors after 10-12 days.

Todd

Back