Has anyone tried this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

plack

Sea Otter
Has anyone ever used an auto top off switch to stop the tank draining into the sump from the overflows and a one way valve on the return side of the pump this would seem to take care of any power off problems it makes sense to me i'm thinking of trying it unless anyone has any other ideas and if anyone knows how to keep the overflows quieter or the air nozzle to the protien skimmer quieter i'm all ears thanks for looking :)

well i just built a durso standpipe for my overflow and now my tank is dead silent. well with the exception of the humm of my skimmer pump.

there are many modifications you can make to your standpipe and overflow to silent it down.

Plack the worry behind using a oneway on the return s that with the highly calified water we have and the many organisms that they can get clogged and/or stuck open. On the auto top off it would be a matter of size and pressure. usually the pressure would be to great for a float switch to turn the water off.

On the overflows do you have a standpipe installed?? On the skimmer air intake you could make a silencer. Just find a small cup and drill the bottom of it, leaving the top open, then put in some carbon and some cotton on top of that.

Mike

Thank all great advice mojo I'm going to look up DIY standpipe info on this site and see if I can understand it well enoughp and I assume the air tube is put in the small cup's hole in the bottom and pushed up to above the carbon but below the cotton is that right I will give that a try as well thanks again:)

what kind of skimmer?

also what do you mean by power off problems...

first, lets do the skimmer... mojoreef is right about making a muffler kinda to absorb the sound coming out of the hose.

also, extending the length of the hose makes a big difference too.

Last edited:
katchupoy I mean an in sump protien skimmer with a rio 1700 for making bubbles in a cpr cy 192 wet dry sump model and when the electricity goes off my 2 smaller overflow boxes from my tank rated under 700 gph each would both have to work to supply enoughp water to the 750 gph pump I was worried about my pump pumping my sump dry overflowing my tank after the electricity shuts off which it does frequently in my area usually for less than 1 hour but one of my overflows non cpr did not start back up easily or quickly so i decided to get a cpr 1200 gph overflow and plug it into a powerhead so it would suck out any air trapped in the overflow and get it working fast as my little cpr 50 did great if i wanted only 300gph or less and the other seemed possibly ok if i put check valves in it and since then i did but i wanted the cpr probably because i was afraid of flooding:)

Back