Hatching Live Brine Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shallowreef

Okay i have two types of hatcheries that i bought off a friend of mine. One is the two liter bottle style and the other is like a cup that sits on top of a box. He said that that the one that sits on top of a box is easier to use. My question is that in the directions it says to use fresh water to hatch the shrimp. Now if i hatch them in fresh water as soon as i add them to salt water, won't they die? I would like to stock my tank/fuge with a lot of live brine shrimp so that when i put my fish in they will have plenty to eat. Is there a way to hatch brine shrimp so that they will survive when i put them in salt water?

Also does anyone know how to jumpstart pod growth? Can you buy them. I use to have a ton but after the heatwave hit my old tank i think i lost all of them or at least a lot of them. Any ideas for either one? A LFS near my house sells them in a bottle for like 30 bucks but there are only like a dozen pods in the bottle and i think that is a major rip off!

Thanks a lot,

Nick

brine shrimp dont live very long at all so I dont think you can stock your tank with them and expect them to all live, I may be wrong here..
also I always hatch mine in salt water, keep in mind most the brine eggs we get come from the saltlake in utah which is 3 times more salty then the ocean...

Matt

okay, I have heard that Brine are very hard to keep alive verses say mysis shrimp and pods so lets scratch the brine shrimp and talk about how i can stock my tank with other types of live food.

this just takes time and a good seeded start of some chaeto that is loaded with pods and stars. if you were closer I could hook you up with some...

Matt

i appreciate the offer Matt! I'll have to gie my LFS a call and see what he says. I'm sure i have some pods still left on the rocks and i'm sure they will eventually multiply but i'm just anxious.

i can set u up with mysis/pods/rotifers....will need to wait awhile till u have enough organic build-up before u add macros/pods to the fuge.....

Back