Have shopping list, need money!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
Hey folks,

I have a 125 (or actually I think it is a 120 long) gallon tank with a sump that varies from 20 to 30 gallons depending on how regularly I top it off.

I have:
-at least 150 lbs of live rock
-a shallow sugar sand bed for my new blue spot gobies
-moderate flow
-triple 175 watt Metal Halides
-Remora Pro skimmer (I know some of you will say it is too small)
-moderate bioload (Diadema urchin, a few hermits, snails, one pom pom crab, a 5" sailfin tang, pair of black saddle clowns, pair of ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, two blue spot gobies, a six line wrasse, three small yellowtail blue damsels, some zoanthids, one small toadstool, a few LPS and my blue carpet anemone)

I need:

RO/DI unit
Calcium reactor (mainly for coralline algae)
Good light for my sump/fuge
Multiple-light timer
Auto top off system (MUST MUST MUST HAVE!)
Temperature controller (?)
Chiller (?)

If anyone can think of anything else I could get to make my life easier and the tank a little more automated, please feel free to post ideas here. Mainly, where can I get good quality stuff for a reasonable price? Marinedepot was my favorite, but lately their prices haven't always been the best. Thanks in advance for advice :)

If you are not going to run with SPS or many LPS I would skip the calcium reactor. It is a very easy way to keep calcium levels up but they are expensive and your calcium demands are pretty dang low (unless I missed something).

To RO/DI is a must. So critical and so convenient.
The light timers can just use the inexpensive dials from Lowes/Home depot etc.
As far as the chiller, it will depend on how hot the tank gets in its location. i got a refurbished one for a reduced price and it works great. Pacific Coast I is located near portland so you might be able to find one from them.

Mat

Julia you can get a good 6 stage ro/di unit off ebay (The filter guy) for $124 shipped to your door.

Last edited:
I like this RO/DI unit from AirWaterIce. It's $149 and comes with everything you need except a brute trashcan to store the water in. It was real easy to setup, too. Mine came with a free TDS meter, but it looks like they aren't doing that anymore.

For temp control I use a Ranco 2 stage controller, fan/chiller plugs into one side, heaters into other and set temp and the degree of difference you want, about $125.00

Thanks for all your input folks. Scooterman, the tank is 72" long and 20" tall. As far as calcium reactor goes, I would just like to have one so I can have a nice purple tank :) and I really like Halimeda which seems to need a lot of calcium. So far I have not been able to keep Halimeda for long, and I am suspecting that shortage of calcium is the issue... Mike, I have never even heard of a single controller that does everything... sounds kinda cool!

Ato is a must,

www.thefilterguys.biz = ocean reef II will do anyone justice

Ca reactor.... idk, i have lfs and sps and softies and clams, and i dont react.... but i do dump some liquid Ca in from time to time,

temp and chiller is nice if you have the cash to blow.... but you can find other ways, that will be cheaper and more satisfying... just IMO

good light for the sump.... what you want to do...... you could get a few of the nova t5's that come single... they are like 20 bucks each, A few of them will do wounders....

my next sump system is gonna have a 400watt hanging over it....

timers.... i use a combo of the strip timers, extentions, and single timers, (digtal's) not the out door ones,

you best buy is gonna be the RODI first and the ATO 2nd... but they are both gonna make your life a lot eazyer,

Yeah, I am in the process of picking out a RO/DI (looking at the filter guys $199 unit which I would also use for drinking water since ours often tastes VERY funky) and an ATO. PH monitor will come right afterwards. My blue tuxedo urchin can "monitor" PH but it does so by dying... I'd rather have a less harmful way to keep an eye on the PH :)

I'd consider that Bio-load almost Heavy not moderate, what are you goals as for as what you want to keep, I didn't see that? I use a 40g holding tank for the RO/DI, I have issues getting a line ran to where my tank is located, it isn't so bad to deal with. I would agree you may want to consider a better skimmer later but first get that RO/DI on tanks that size it is almost a must, actually I'd consider a duel 75gpd membranes to get teh most efficient water to waste ratio you possibly can.

I'd consider that Bio-load almost Heavy not moderate, what are you goals as for as what you want to keep, I didn't see that? I use a 40g holding tank for the RO/DI, I have issues getting a line ran to where my tank is located, it isn't so bad to deal with. I would agree you may want to consider a better skimmer later but first get that RO/DI on tanks that size it is almost a must, actually I'd consider a duel 75gpd membranes to get teh most efficient water to waste ratio you possibly can.

Yeah, I kinda wonder about the "heaviness" of my bioload. It's pretty much all the fish I'd ever want, except maybe a scribbled rabbitfish (I am planning on getting a bigger tank within a year as well) and as far as corals go, I would like to get a few more LPS but I will keep their size at bay by fragging.

So what can I use as a RO/DI holding tank? Garbage cans would probably make the water taste plasticky (yes, I know that is not a real word), even bottled water tastes bad enough from the plastic (I am planning on using it for drinking, not just tank stuff). Aside from a giant glass container, I can't think of anything else... My holding tank would have to go in the laundry room since there are no other options in our small-ish house. The space is a little smaller than a standard washer or dryer. Any ideas? :)

I ordered from the filter guys. What I ordered came really fast looked top quality and I was happy. Was ready to hook it up just to my kitchen sink till my husband told me to RETURN IT!!. Boy was I ever pissed at him.....The Filter Guys let me return it no questions asked in the original packaging unused no questions asked. When I get a RO/DI unit I will be getting it from them!

You can get a Brute rubber-maid 30g trashcan (grey) & get a wheel set to roll it around, they are safe! I use that but for my ATO I have a 40g green vertical storage tank.

I ordered from the filter guys. What I ordered came really fast looked top quality and I was happy. Was ready to hook it up just to my kitchen sink till my husband told me to RETURN IT!!. Boy was I ever pissed at him.....The Filter Guys let me return it no questions asked in the original packaging unused no questions asked. When I get a RO/DI unit I will be getting it from them!

Have you considered trading in your husband for a new tank setup? :lol:

OK, I traded a bunch of my live rock for a calcium reactor. Now we'll see if I actually get around to setting it up. Don't worry, I was going to sell the live rock anyway so my tang has more swimming room :)

In the next couple of days I will order a RO/DI unit. I am still debating about which one to get, but I will definitely get one. Lots of people seem to like the filter guys, so I will probably go with them.

As far as auto top offs go, I have heard so many different opinions, that I am seriously considering maintaining the status quo and hauling buckets to the tank daily :lol:. I just want the most reliable setup, one that will not flood the tank, etc. Andy at SWC said that the best is the three-electrode setup, but it costs a couple hundred bucks :shock: so I think I will keep looking for now :)

Back