Have shopping list, need money!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, I finally broke down and ordered the RO/DI from the filter guys. Shipping was expensive ($27) but it's a bulky unit I guess... Here is its picture :D

OCEANREEF1.jpg

It does :). I will post a list of specs on it later, I am tired and I've got the kids at home all day tomorrow so I better get some sleep! Maybe they will help me clean my "new" aquapod tomorrow.

So, some comments...

1. there's lots of different personal preferences for Auto Top-Off. I've had pretty good luck with the JBJ-ATO. You can find them on E-bay for $69 to $74

Key points include a float switch for your sump, and a second to monitor the level of container so you don't burn out your pump. It includes a timed fail-safe, in that it'll shut off after 3-14 minutes (settable) if the level doesn't come back to where it's supposed to. It and a $11 aqualifter make a good ATO combination.

2. You list a bunch of monitoring and control functions:

Light timers
Temperature Controller
PH Monitor

Instead of spending $100+ for a Ranco 2 stage, $80+ for a PH monitor, etc, etc...

Just invest in a Neptune Aq Jr with temp probe and Lab grade PH probe for $299. It monitors temp and PH, and comes with a 8 plug controllable power strip that allows you to turn off and on each plug to whatever is programmed in the unit.

If you don't know what this can do for you, go read up on it. Having a completely automated tank, including monitoring of vital stats, is an amazing improvement...

The failsafes available go beyond simple 2 stage temp control (heaters and chillers)... for example, the ability to turn of the MH's if the chiller can't keep up, or even breaks down, can be a lifesaver.

With the neptune, I don't even run a chiller on my 140g reef. I just set up a couple of small fans on the sump, and a fan that blows under the MH's, and turn them on sequentially as the temp rises... if they can't bring it back down, then I shut down 1 MH at a time.

~K

Nice RODI unit, if you have any problem setting it up and working don't be afraid to call or email The Filter Guys, you won't find better customer service any where.

Pacific coast came out with an affordable line of chillers called Sea Line Chiller.....

Last edited:
Key points include a float switch for your sump, and a second to monitor the level of container so you don't burn out your pump. It includes a timed fail-safe, in that it'll shut off after 3-14 minutes (settable) if the level doesn't come back to where it's supposed to. It and a $11 aqualifter make a good ATO combination.

I have to share my experience with this same setup. I love the JBJ ATO, but the aqualifter pump is very unreliable for me. I use kalkwasser for top off though and that may be a big reason why it isn't working so well. I constantly have to tend to the top off system to get it pumping every other day or so, as the airline becomes clogged easily. I previously used a maxi jet pump for this and it worked flawlessly, but dispensed too much water with each cycle for my tastes. The aqualifter is much lower flow so it dispenses just a tiny amount every few minutes. I'm probably going to switch to a very low flow water pump instead of the aqualifter soon, possibly a mini-jet.

Ya ATo is like primmary mission captian

if you can make the float valve section small... (where the return pump is) your ATO will cylce sooner.

shorter quicker injections of fresh RO

Picture3001256.jpg

one switch that turns on and off normaly.. and the other is to stop or close the valve if the first switch doesnt turn off...

Picture3001306.jpg

had to remove the first switch to figure out why the water was so high

Did you have the Aqualifter sucking/pumping already kalk'd water?

I haven't had problems with mine, but it's probably because to avoid that very problem, I've got it configured so the AL draws fresh RO, and pushes it through the Kalk stirrer, with a short run of oversized tubing from the stirrer to the sump. Thus the aqualifter never sees the kalk slurry.

I still have to clean the tubing downstream from the stirrer once a month, as it will clog up and block flow if I don't

~K

I have to share my experience with this same setup. I love the JBJ ATO, but the aqualifter pump is very unreliable for me. I use kalkwasser for top off though and that may be a big reason why it isn't working so well. I constantly have to tend to the top off system to get it pumping every other day or so, as the airline becomes clogged easily. I previously used a maxi jet pump for this and it worked flawlessly, but dispensed too much water with each cycle for my tastes. The aqualifter is much lower flow so it dispenses just a tiny amount every few minutes. I'm probably going to switch to a very low flow water pump instead of the aqualifter soon, possibly a mini-jet.

Well, those filter guys rule! I just Paypal'd them the money around midnight and I have already received an email stating that the unit has been shipped out, as well as some instructions pertaining to some thingamajiggy on it. All this on a holiday! I am very impressed :D.

Back