having trouble keeping my nitrates low

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

I am having trouble with keeping my nitrates low. About a week ago my nitrate levels were at 40 ppm but now they are about 20 since i have been doing 5 gallon water changes every other day. I am thinking of getting rid of my substrate to help lower my nitrates even more, but is there any other ways I can lower it? I also moved all my live rock around the other day, could that possibly be why I have its high? I have a 38 gallon tank and I use the API testing kit.

how long has the tank been up and running?

how often do you feed? (can cut back on feeding)

but the only way to tackle the problem is water changes, water changes, water changes.

how long has the tank been up and running?

how often do you feed? (can cut back on feeding)

but the only way to tackle the problem is water changes, water changes, water changes.

Well is been running for a couple of months now, but its been less than a month since I transfer everything from a 25G to this 38G

I was feeding twice a day but now I cut down to once a day and I'm feeding way less than what I was feeding before.
do you think getting rid of the substrate will help? I have less than an inch

My guess is you stirred things up with the transfer. As suggested, lots of water changes! The sand should not be a problem after things settle down. Unless you are really careful, you will probably do more harm than good moving the sand again.

I feed maybe 4 times a week. Could cut down the feeding even more to get them under control.

Also, have you thought about adding a refugium? With a refugium and less frequent feeding, I have never detected any nitrates in my system. Probably some good hang on back refugiums you could add to the system or you could plumb one in. The macro algae will help remove the nitrates, then you can take the macro out and toss it to remove the nitrates from the system.

There are also algae scrubbers people use, but I don't really know much about them.

all these are good ideas but if you want to get rid of nitrates quickly
make up about 15-20gal of ro water/water change.
pull out your substrate.
do a good sized water change as soon as its all out.

substrate was probably a nuclear missile waiting to pop when you moved it over to the new tank, you can sit there and water change all the time to get the back in check slowly but if you have nice corals you care about get it out of there. not the cheapest option but when you want to add more back in try going with a sugar sized sand and only putting enough in to cover the bottom of the tank maybe 1/2 thick and add it slowly by sticking a pipe down to the bottom of the tank and pour your new sand (tank water washed) in to the pipe, let it sit, and lift it to release sand. add sand slowly prob 16 ounce cup every 2-3 days.

goodluck!

Back