Hawaiian Islands Rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineDreamer

Est. April 2nd, 2005
I wanted to share a recent experience with base rock from www.hirock.com.

I purchased thirty pounds of “our best hirocks” from Hawaiian Islands Rock.

I think that pictures are worth a thousand words. The two ‘big’ pieces are NOT porous at all, and are very dense. One is twelve pounds and the other twelve and a half. All the pieces are very dusty and when the box was opened, you could see where the rock had crumbled from rubbing together.

I would steer clear of Hirocks.

Sorry to here about the rock. I was just looking at that stuff a couple days ago glad I didn't get any now! Glad you started a post about it. Good luck Dave

thats some sad looking stuff.. i hope its going back... thanks for the heads up.

WoW, thanks for the heads up, i also was just about to order some from them too, thanks for the look out and if you get an update please share!

Hi,

If you are not happy with the shipment of rocks COMPLAIN to there customer service dept. if you gey know where with customer service ask to speak to management. If they offer no help then let them know you will make a complaint with the BBB for unsatisfactory product and customer service. I think if they here BBB they might try and be more helpful that is if the do not wany a negative report!

I hope you get your problem resolved! It stinks when you look forward to something like that and get disappointed.

oh man! Not THERE customer service. I should have written THEIR! DUH!

gey should be get, Wow spell check! You know work!

I had some from them a few years back, it was somewhat ok but It did have a few pieces that were solid, most of it was very heavy & took lots of rinsing but it is growing fine what I have left, makes good filler rock. I found the Marshall island base rocks from the Marine Center (marinecenter.com) to be awesome, almost as good as the premium stuff & shipping was cheap being I live close enough to ship UPS.

wow saved me a few bucks, but i actually have been looking at this website www.reeferrocks.com for base rock. i have talked to the guy, cpt. jer, personally and he is a really nice guy. his live rock is good as well but the shipping is what kills ya. but if you want you can tell him exactly how you want your rock and he will go out and pick what he thinks you want and take a pic of the package and send it to you so you can see what your actually getting.

I got Buna Branch Base Rock from OceanproAquatics.com Vrey cheap Very Porus and lightweight... Would happily buy from them again at anytime..

James

Hawaiian live rock is prohibted from being exported by state law. A small amount (>2500lbs.) is allowed to be havested by permit annually. Only a couple designated areas on Ohau can be legally removed from state waters. Hawaiian legend has it that anyone removing stones from the islands will incure the wrath of the goddesss Pele. Big time Kapu. She can only be appeased by returning the stone and sacrificing a bottle of spirits to her (tossing a bottle of vodka into the volcano)

I grew up in Hawaii and believe that curse only applies to rocks, sand, etc from the Big Island. My dad was a tour guide and would get rocks sent back in to us in the mail from people who had bad luck. Here are a couple of sites with info:

http://www.usps.com/history/plife/pl082097/hawaii8.htm
http://www.lapietra.edu/scienceweb/Kilauea2004/sites/40/Legend_of_Pele.html

I agree with aquariumdebacle. "It is unlawful to take, break or damage, any implement, any rock or coral to which marine life of any type is visibly attached. HAR 13-95-71"

More info at this site: http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/library/coral_liverock.htm

Here is what can happen if you try to take live rock from Hawaii:
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/cac/pr2004/052.html

As for base rock from www.hirock.com, I have some in my tank and agree with what Scooterman said. Decent filler rock that needs lot of rinsing.

-Jon Wall

:eek: Hey I remember that episode of the Brady Bunch...Greg all hit head on his surfboard and almost drowned....baddddd juju.... I guess that was a little idol, but it was probably made out of LR :D

Hey Jiddy, I'd be pulling rock out of Florida and Tamba Bay Saltwater or one of the other aquaculture growers out of there. It'll save you a bit in shipping maybe.

Jiddy said:
By the why MarineDreamer, what did you ever do with that baserock, did you ever complain?

Nope. One of the big pieces is going to the LFS so that others can see it first hand, the smaller pieces I'm soaking now in the hopes that I might be able to put them into the refuge and use them there.

I'm a firm believer in the American way. Vote with your pocketbook. :oops:

not really brad, I had an order also looked about like he has, this rock may have a few holes in it but for the most part it is solid, very non porus, I still have it in my tank but slowly trading it out.

Back