Hawaii's new fishing regulations

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

We've all heard about the tragedy of over 600 Yellow Tangs, found in a garbage can, on a beach in Hawaii. Well, it seems the event is the catalyst for new regulations, covering the capture of Ornamental Fish. Here's some information about it. It'd be interesting to hear how this is effecting one of our favorite and very ethical fisherman. Les any input?
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2...s-back-new-tropical-fish-harvest-regulations/

I have thought all along that those discarded fish were likely "poached" and the poacher thought they were going to get caught and discarded the evidence (I have never heard if a cause of death was determined on those fish). If it was a poacher new laws won't fix the problem.

Regulation to a point is a good thing as the fish must be able to maintain sustainable populations (plenty of fish of breeding age to produce baby fish). Closing areas to all collection help support those breeding populations. But regulation only affect those who are honest enough to follow the laws.

I would also like to hear what Les thinks of this as he is closer to the action although I do not believe he collects in the Kona area.

This is really sad.

A typical knee jerk reaction from today's society... This is almost as bad as how gun restrictions get passed.

It would be nice if enforcement would get stepped up to known frequently visited fishing areas. Check everyone and hold those who are wrong responsible. I guess it's just easier to punish everybody for the actions of a few.

I'd imagine this will have an effect on the ethical fisherman, such as Les, and others. I'm not sure how much these new regulations restrict what they had prior. Hopefully, Les will join us and fill us in on how these changes will effect him, in a business sense, and how it may effect us, as hobbyists and even how it'll effect LFS!

I am not sure where Les (I assume Wet Pets Hawaii?) collects, however they are only closing one beach, and opening another, albeit with a lottery system. They are also limiting the number of LARGE yellow tangs can be harvested (a good thing IMHO), not allowing certain fish to be harvested, all-the-while making sure that any collector actually knows what he/she's doing.

I don't see this as bad, except for the beach closure. But it depends on what fish they place on the blacklist, and not allow collection of. If it's 2' naso tangs, or 48" moray eels, great!

A fish permit is free, if you want to sell commercial then you pay $50.00 for that license. Hard to say a poacher in this case and would also be very hard to say it was a commercial fisherman that killed all these fish.

Since they believe these fish were collected over several months, it is more likely that someone was collecting them with plans of reselling to a local shop / collector.

This is the type of things that ruin the hobby, all over a about $1500.00 of yellow tangs.

This is the type of things that ruin the hobby, all over a about $1500.00 of yellow tangs.

Not sure where or how you're coming up with $1500.00. This could be looked at as a retail price tag of about $21000.00!! Yellow Tangs typically sell for well over $35.00 retail, though you can find them cheaper, or more expensive. Every once in awhile, there's an online retailer that blows them out at $19.99, which is still a cost of $12000.00. Les typically sells small Yellow Tangs for about $30.00, according to several of his posts. I'm sure larger specimens get a larger price. From the original incident, and photographs of the dead fish, it appears that there are lots of different sized fish, ranging from large, show specimens, to tiny ones.

This new regulation will impact the ratio of Yellow Tangs captured, as well. It puts a more strict limitation on large Yellow Tangs. This could result in more tiny Yellow Tangs captured. This could result in higher mortality for a couple of reasons. Smaller tangs are less likely to survive transportation, acclimating to collector, lfs and finally hobbyist. Smaller tangs, seen in LFS tanks, will also encourage more uninformed hobbyists to place them in smaller tanks, which will lead to higher mortality rates and less healthy fish.

On the other hand, it will result in less capture of sexually mature specimens, leaving more fish able to spawn, in nature.

I don't look at it as a money issue. IMO, it's more of an ethical issue. Granted, this could have been an innocent, though tragic event, caused by a collector's tanks crashing, killing fish collected over a period of time. However it happened, it does have a negative impact on our hobby, and all things related to our hobby. Locally, in Hawaii, this caused a HUGE uproar against our hobby. I'm sure it had a potential negative impact on the future of ornamental fish collection and collectors.

Last edited:
I think it is a good thing IMO. History is happening and we as reefkeepers are not helping by demanding these fish in record numbers. Prime example is the Banggai cardinalfish.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/63572/0

"The Banggai cardinalfishPterapogon kauderni is an endemic marine fish that has been negatively affected by heavy collection pressure for the aquarium trade and is highly vulnerable to extinction if trade continues at current rates. Harvest and trade first began in 1995, and has increased to an estimated 700,000-900,000 fish/yr."

Crazy to see those numbers and then watch the video and see the numbers on the yellow tangs.

If we reefkeepers and fishkeepers keep demanding these fish more and more, then things like this will happen more and more. Another good example is the LR that comes from the Marshall Islands. Banned for collection for a time.

One way that EVERYONE can help these fish that we like to keep in our closed reef systems is to try and only purchase captive raised individuals. This way we are all doing our part in helping keep our true reefs alive for generations to come.

Sorry but these are just my opinions,
Alex

One way that EVERYONE can help these fish that we like to keep in our closed reef systems is to try and only purchase captive raised individuals. This way we are all doing our part in helping keep our true reefs alive for generations to come.

Sorry but these are just my opinions,
Alex

I agree, also I feel we should do everything in our power to ensure we are providing a good home for the fish we buy. Not all fish can be captive bred at this time so each fish we take off the reef should be treated as special and only bought after careful consideration of our ability to ensure its survival.

I agree, also I feel we should do everything in our power to ensure we are providing a good home for the fish we buy. Not all fish can be captive bred at this time so each fish we take off the reef should be treated as special and only bought after careful consideration of our ability to ensure its survival.

+1

One key point I forgot to mention is, look at how we as reefkeepers do so much coral fragging. Very cool and without even being aware of it anyone who is trading/selling/buying captive grown corals is doing a big part to save our reefs for future generations.

p.s. I'm not saying that we all need to start breeding fish. :D

I have seen this coming for quite sometime... I agree we all need to do more to ensure that all ocean species will survive and be treated with respect . I work alot on breeding and propigation . I hope that one day we will have no need for harvesting out of the ocean. I am working to make this a reality ...my whole life has been dedicated to saving the oceans as well as futhering the hobby by comprehensive information , breeding and propigation.

When we look at this our initial reaction would be like "who the he'll did this"
but the reality is anything could have happened such as a system failure or a tank crash. It also could have been dead fish that was saved over time and accumulated in the freezer. It is hard to speculate. I would sit here and think what if I came home from work to find that I had a power outage and my fish died. Of course they would end up in the trash. Ummm probably not a boat harbor trash bin with see through trash bags. We all can do our best to care for our beautiful fish as pets but the reality is fish could die and we have to discard the fish right. This guy could have been a major supplier of the west coast and Oahu. Yes most of our yellow tangs are caught in Kona and shipped to Oahu to wholesalers then shipped from Oahu to L.A and other parts of the world.
this incident happened on the big island where most of the yellow tangs you see on the market come from. I live on Oahu and if I dive for yellow tangs I will be lucky to get maybe 10 or 20 per dive. On the big island the divers can easily get over 100 yellow tangs per dive. Anyways nonethess this incident is a tragedy but we have to think how much more fish are killed and thrown away by commercial seafood fisherman. Aloha

Last edited:
When we look at this our initial reaction would be like "who the he'll did this"
but the reality is anything could have happened such as a system failure or a tank crash. It also could have been dead fish that was saved over time and accumulated in the freezer. It is hard to speculate. I would sit here and think what if I came home from work to find that I had a power outage and my fish died. Of course they would end up in the trash. Ummm probably not a boat harbor trash bin with see through trash bags. We all can do our best to care for our beautiful fish as pets but the reality is fish could die and we have to discard the fish right. This guy could have been a major supplier of the west coast and Oahu. Yes most of our yellow tangs are caught in Kona and shipped to Oahu to wholesalers then shipped from Oahu to L.A and other parts of the world.
this incident happened on the big island where most of the yellow tangs you see on the market come from. I live on Oahu and if I dive for yellow tangs I will be lucky to get maybe 10 or 20 per dive. On the big island the divers can easily get over 100 yellow tangs per dive. Anyways nonethess this incident is a tragedy but we have to think how much more fish are killed and thrown away by commercial seafood fisherman. Aloha

Thank you for chiming in Les!! I've said, on several different forums that have threads about this, that it was most likely something like what you've stated!!

Les, how will the new regulations effect you?

Back