Hawkfish? What happend to the shrimp?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bad fish! Bad Bad Bad!
Pretty expensive snack. Your hawk fish is now worth more money. LOL

HAHAHAHA....Sorry, but the look on the hawkfish's face with those whiskers sticking out of his mouth, is just too funny! LOL!!

What kind of shrimp was it?
I have a couple peppermint shrimp in the same tank with a hawkfish. Was thinking about adding a cleaner shrimp.

Peppermint shrimp.. Oh well expensive snack i guess.

Yeah i thought it was pretty hillarious myself.

How big was the shrimp compared to the fish? I kinda want a hawk fish but I really like my cleaner shrimp.

When i put the peppermints in there i thought... Nah.... As the shrimp seemed almost as big as the hawkfish. Guess i was wrong haha..

You may be ok if the shrimp is established and the hawkfish is new and well fed.

Last edited:
Lol dang I've always kept Shrimp out my tank when I had a fish that was a may eat inverts. Sucks for that pretty penny on the snack.

hahaha it is a risk!! I had a falco hawk with a cleaner shrimp for ages - but he was well fed....... the hawkfish ended up in a separate tank as he wasnt getting along with my other tank mates and I moved that very same cleaner shrimp into the QT that the hawkfish had been living in as I was running an interceptor treatment on my main display, and within a day my cleaner was dead, and the hawk had antenna sticking outta his mouth.

The shrimp was way too big for the falco to eat tho - so really all he had eaten was the antenna.... not 100% sure what killed the shrimp, but awful coincidence I say ;) hahahaha - the falco was horrible neglected in the QT setup - never fed... so I guarantee he was desperate for food :)

I really don't mind the cost associated to a nice feast for my hawk. Peppermints are only $4-$6 depending.. And i used to feed feeder fish to my freshwater to fill that need to hunt. I would assume the benefits for the saltwater predators are similar. And besides, who doesn't like a nice fresh shrimp dinner! Well maybe the shrimp....

A decent sized coral banded would most likely be fine. None of my fish mess with mine, hes pretty boss.

Back