Heater Preference.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DriftReef

I was wondering if people have a heater preference and if you do how effiecent is it on the electricty bill and longevity.

i use the jbj true temp controller and heater. i have been using them for years with no problem. the controller has a digital read out.

I have Aqueon Pro heaters since 2011. Never failed, very affordable, and will not shatter. If I set it up as 80F, then the water will be 80F. It goes greater with a controller like reefkeeper in a sump.

I'll have to look into that you have it in your sump? And does it have two temp sensors to read tank and sump? Just trying to figure out how I should approach with a bigger tank. I'm looking at a 180gallon and want to have the sump in the garage and the tank in the house.

I have Aqueon Pro heaters since 2011. Never failed, very affordable, and will not shatter. If I set it up as 80F, then the water will be 80F. It goes greater with a controller like reefkeeper in a sump.

So it sounds like a controller is something I want to look into with a heater?

Looking online a jbj controller and a aqueon pro heater looks to run around $100 with a quick search. That's not bad at all.

i bought mine on ebay. i have 500 watt on my 160 gallon. i have a 800 watt on my 360 gallon and i just bought a 150 watt one for my water change drum. the jbj true temps are super nice.

I havent seen a 500watt how does it do on the electric bill i have a 250 but it is glass and can't be submerged althe way in the water so that makes me a little nervous if the water evaporates to fast Having the heater out of the water.

Found this heater any one bought this one before? If I'm going to have a 180 gallon tank and a 40 gallon sump would this be a over kill?
500W True Temp Titanium Heating System by JBJ

Running 2 smaller heaters is much better than just 1 large one. 2 heaters on a temp controller (I use a Ranco dual stage), with 2 heaters if one goes out the other helps maintain the temps, with just 1 heater if it goes out, your done. Also with a dual stage temp controller, if a heater gets stuck on it shuts the power off to it and turns on your fan/chiller, ALL brands of heaters fail, its just a matter of when

I have three ebo jagers 250 watt and one 300 watt heater on my system. I couldnt agree with Holygral more about using a controller.

I have had multiple heater failures over the years. Some times they stay on & cook your tank. I have had them leak & send ac current in the tank too. I now have cascade heaters. They are inexpensive & have a lifetime warranty. I haven't had any problems with them.

Don't know if its more than you need, but marine depot has the pinpoint dual controller on sale today (deal of the day).. pricier than what you noted previously, but can handle two heaters. I don't know anything about it, but I saw it when I was checking something else out, so figured I'd mention it.

Don't know if its more than you need, but marine depot has the pinpoint dual controller on sale today (deal of the day).. pricier than what you noted previously, but can handle two heaters. I don't know anything about it, but I saw it when I was checking something else out, so figured I'd mention it.

Thanks from the reviews that dual stage seems pretty good. I do that I wonder if I use a 250 on one side of the sump and a 50 on the other side of that would be enough to heat a tank from the charts I seen online they say for a 160 to 240 was like 500 watts? Is it that necessary if its in a 40 gallon sump? It seems that two heaters that add up to 300 should keep the sump at temp and will regulate the tank as the water cycles. Maybe I'm not seeing it right bit that seems to be logical to me. Any thoughts?

160 gallon u need like 500 watts sorry read the chart wrong

i think you are reading the charts wrong. the 500 watt heater from jbj true temp is rated from 100 gallons to 160 gallons. for you tank you would need the 800 watt heater

I have a 300 watt cascade heater on a 240 gallon tank, 100 gallon sump, 40 gallon refugium. The room temp is 70°. My tank is 78°. The heater isn't constantly on either.

i was going off the charts that jbj has on there site. by there charts my 360 gallon should have a 1000 watt heater. i have a 800 watt heater on it and it is just fine. temp is from 78 to 78.4

Back