Heaters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kensn

What is a good dedicated thermostat to run a couple of heaters on. I was looking at Jalli units but saw mixed reviews. I am looking for high accuracy.

Last edited:
I use the fancy Won Bros Titanium heater with built in LCD thermometer and it works fine, even thou Doni dont like them, i do

I was looking at those also Jid, but again the site where I was going to buy them had 3 reviews and they were all bad. I know it is likely a small percentage, but was looking for some other options.

Charlie nice to have ya along for the ride.....

The Won heaters have a real bad rep and it isn't only 3 people trust me on that. I ended up getting a heater controller from Rancho. It really works well, and was a bargain at only $80. ouch.

I agree about all reviews about the Won Bros have been poor, but my vast experience have lead me to believe they are good (knock on wood)

Eeek - my titanium won heaters, with the digital readouts and the regular dial, are junk. I had to adjust them to a different temperature setting, so they read correctly. I also witnessed someone else's cook a tub of rock and coral up to 96F over the weekend (not mine - helping with a tank move).

Ken - have you thought about getting a controller? Neptune makes the AquaController Jr. if the 2 and 3 are a bit much. Neptune Systems. Here is also a link to one of our sponsor's that sells the Ranco controller that big t posted about: DIY Reef - Ranco Controller single stage and DIY Reef - Ranco Controller dual stage

Thanks Niki, I will look at the links. I can't justify getting the Neptunes since I have the PLC ding all the lighting and pumps, and I can modify that programing all iwant to. The rancho will probably do the trick, besides if Big T says it is good then..........

Ok looked at the controller, but is says it is single stage for a chiller, will it work opposite for a heater....

Last edited:
Ken the rancho will go both ways. It has a setting in the menu that you program what you want it to do, on or off when it hits the target. You can also set a spread so the heater comes on at 76 and turns off at 78, or whatever.

Thanks Tom, thats all I needed to know. Well if I can't find a proper RTD for this Watlow controller I have, I'll be ordering up one of those then. Tom what are you using for the element, a regular heater or what?

Yes right now I am using a ebo heater with it. It really was worth every penny for me. They were never intended for the 'reef' hobby origionally, so therefore the price to quality ratio is incredible compared to most of the crap we buy.

Tom one more question if you do not mind my friend,can you tell me how much it is capable of switching as far as load is concerned? Did it come with any specs?

I will have to look at the specs ken, sorry I missed this. I does have a pretty high rating. I think that it can handle 15 amps on on normally open side and 8 on the NC side. Let me dig around.

does the heater just plug into these controllers and you leave the heater cranked up and the controler does the work from there? Can you use two heaters with them?

Stan, The best practice is to use the heater for a week and dialed it in to the right temp... then if your good with the temp... then raise it up for a little but, say 1 temp higher then plugged it in to your controller.

In this way, you have redundancy. If for some reason the controller get stuck (in which i think is less chance than heater sticking on), then the heaters internal thermostat will kick in.

just my two cents.

Heaters are illegal in the Bahamas Ken because it's already too hot so I can't really help you there(LOL JK) Out of curiosity though, if you didn't use a heater up there, at what temperature would your water usually sit at, say around January?

Krish - I can't speak for Ken, but I know my tank right now, without heaters gets down to 76F. Once we get into the really cold months, I imagine the tank would get to the same temp as the house....which is 68F.

Back