Heaters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish - I can't speak for Ken, but I know my tank right now, without heaters gets down to 76F. Once we get into the really cold months, I imagine the tank would get to the same temp as the house....which is 68F.

Wow! If only...I fight to keep mine at 80 with central air on all the time set to about 70! If I took my canopy off it would be different, but not an option...

krish75 said:
Heaters are illegal in the Bahamas Ken because it's already too hot so I can't really help you there(LOL JK) Out of curiosity though, if you didn't use a heater up there, at what temperature would your water usually sit at, say around January?

Krish do a google seach "Puget Sound".... :lol:

Krish - I hear ya on trying to keep the temp down. Even with our central air running full blast in the summers (outside temps can get up in the 90sF, low 100s with the heat index), my tank likes to sit at 81 with the chiller. I hope to get a bigger chiller next summer, as this one is too small. But, it does the job bringing the tank temp down to 80F.....it runs alot....with 2 fans blowing on the water, too. At least we get a break from that in the winter. Although.....I think I'd take it, if I could go out in those beautiful waters to snorkle whenever I felt like it. Thinking of the future below zero wind chills is already making me wish I was in the Bahamas :D

At least we get a break from that in the winter. Although.....I think I'd take it, if I could go out in those beautiful waters to snorkle whenever I felt like it. Thinking of the future below zero wind chills is already making me wish I was in the Bahamas

Yeah...You win some and you lose some. That is why my tank is going to mainly consist of "Bahamian" marine life. I figure i'll have a better succes rate at keeping things in my tank that are accustomed to similar conditions.

Krish do a google seach "Puget Sound"....

Will do...Why is it funny?(LOL) I love humor or will the joke be on me:shock: ...Let me check it out...

Katchupoy said:
Stan, The best practice is to use the heater for a week and dialed it in to the right temp... then if your good with the temp... then raise it up for a little but, say 1 temp higher then plugged it in to your controller.

In this way, you have redundancy. If for some reason the controller get stuck (in which i think is less chance than heater sticking on), then the heaters internal thermostat will kick in.

just my two cents.

Thanks Cesar that makes way more sense

Back