Hello RF!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

StephanieR23

Hi All! I'm Stephanie and I've just started setting up my first tank, with the help of my boyfriend of course! He has shared his hobby with me and I have enjoyed learning about everything and now I'm addicted!! Any tips for starting up your first tank? I have a 30 gallon cube. Any of advice is welcome as well! Thanks!

Stephanie,

Welcome to RF !!!

For starters, I would suggest purchasing the following book:

Amazon.com: The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists (Microcosm/T.F.H. Professional) (9781890087999): Robert M. Fenner, Matthew L. Wittenrich, Scott W. Michael, Alf Jacob Nilsen, Christopher Turk: B

This book will answer most of your basic questions you prolly have like tank selection, water parameters, testing equipment, parasites and medications, etc.. It is well worth the price. I have this book and after 18yrs in the hobby still use it.

What type of tank are you keeping? (fish only, mixed, or reef only) ?
Also we love pics on this forum, so the more the merrier.

:)

Again, welcome.

Hi!

Thanks for the advice, my boyfriend actually has me reading that book right now :) I will be doing a mixed tank, mostly softies and some lps. For lighting I have 150w HQI Halide with two 32 watt pc actinic and then I have a 10 gallon sump and skimmer.

Thank you for the advice and I'll be sure to post pictures!

ahhh.....good to see...part of this hobby that I still love is reading and research...

+1 great to see someone new! Specially one thats reading and researching. I tell everyone to get a book and read it read it read it. Ive got 10+ books now myself lol. Welcome and congrats! I wish my 1st tank was a cube and i had a helping hand. dont upgrade to quickly and keep it slow!

Thanks 1guydude! My boyfriend send me a ad for a 75 gallon tank for sale and boy is it nice - I suppose I shouldn't buy that just yet huh?! Haha :)

I had my testing experience tonight and wow, I've been missing out. I've watched my boyfriend do it a few times and at first didn't pay too much attention but tonight we sat down and I did ALL the testing with his help giving instructions. I felt like a mad scientist!! I'm really enjoying my new hobby and having fun getting my toes wet in all the steps to come along with keeping a great healthy tank! I have a feeling I'm going to become more addicted to my new hobby than I am right now and I'm pretty addicted right now! Haha! Thanks everyone for your great advice!

Patients is the best advise you can get. Start slow, stock slow and make changes slow. Dont buy everything your local fish store tells you that you need. The only magic potion that you need is a bottle of patients. Also only stock what your tank will support (size, conditions, maturity lighting ect.) and not what you want and think is cool. Welcome to RF and to the hobby.

Another BIG :welcome: to Reef Frontiers and looks like your off to a great start.

Cheers, Todd

Thanks Holygral - I agree - patience seems to be the key ingredient to a lot of things :) I've been going to the local Saltwater fish shops around Seattle with my boyfriend and it's been great to hear all kinds of useful information from experienced members! Someday - I'd love to have a really big tank to be able to get so much stuff that I've seen but doesn't support my tank. We have two tanks now - my boyfriend has one and then I'm starting mine with his help. It's such an exciting and fun hobby! Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

Back