Hello there...any help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

deshoyt

Hi there. I am new to this whole saltwater experience-about 3 months now. It is very exciting to watch our tank change with all the new things going on it it. My question is this - We purchased adult clownfish (2 Nemo's -sorry I forgot the true name) and we have had them for about 1 month now. They are great. They get along with my cleaner shrimp, my Royal Gramma and my HUGE black spiny starfish. Yesterday, we brought home a Blue Damsel and a Yellow Watchman Goby. The 2 new additions were shy at first but started to come out by late last night. When I came home this evening, I noticed my larger (female I think) Clownfish actually nipping at my goby so much that now it stays hidden behind the filter. I even tried to target feed the goby but he wanted nothing to do with it. His back fin and tail looks a bit chewed on. Is there anythin I can do? I sure would hate to lose him. I am a little confused because the clownfish have never shown aggression-even to the Damsel. Any suggestions? Thanks again, Desiree

Welcome to RF!
Did you know that clownfish are in the same family of fish as in damsels? For a beginner, I'd slow it down some & learn more of what is going on. If you have time, list us what you have, ie. Tank, how much LR, sand? Filters, lighting etc, how big is your tank? This basic information can help us understand what is going on in your tank & we can hopefully help you in the long run. We have a great beginners forum, It might be helpful to read up in there.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

We actually at first were given horrible advice from an aquarium store owner. When we went back 5 days after initially purchasing our 60 gallon tank, (he told us to cycle the water for 4-5 days and then we would be ready for about 8 fish!!! YIKES!!), he had closed early for the day so we went right down the street to another fish store. I am so glad we did-the owner there gave us the best advice-she even told us she would not sell us any fish for at leat 1 - 1 1/2 months. We left there that day with more live rock and some hermit crabs and snails. When we got home, we realized that there was a huge black spiny brittle starfish in one of the live rocks we purchased. We only added the clownfish and gramma much later when we tested our water and took her a sample. It is perfect. My daughter wanted to by a puffer fish and she informed us that it would not be compatible with the fish we wanted. ***Back to my quesation*** Should I be patient but keep a close eye on these two or what? The fish store is closed today or I would call and ask her - She has been the best and there is no telling how many fish we would have lost if we had listened to the other guy. THANKS TAMMY!!:)

I would practice patients in this hobby for sure, it is very important. I'd spend time learning & reading up on what is going on also, keep & eye on them, probably not the best choice starting out like that. Usually a QT should be set-up also, not good practice just adding fish to an existing tank.

Your Anemonefish are taking a defensive posture towards the new fish. Either they envision the new fish as a threat or an intruder into their territory. The Anemonefish, like Scooterman mentioned, is a Damselfish so they may get along when introduced together.

I would say that, amongst other things, you're putting in too much bioload too quickly. There is much more to water quality than just the tests you perform. You will get a lot of good info here: What is Water Quality.

Like the second LFS had in mind, your tank must mature to stabilize. Only the LFS is not conservative enough. You might like to read this: The Mature Aquarium.

Finally, to get a picture of how to start up a marine aquarium, this will give you some idea of the process: Starting up a Marine Aquarium.

You'll find a lot of good references and articles and links if you look over this post for ideas: Table of Contents and Link List.

If the Anemonefish don't stop harassing the Goby within a total of about a week, then either the Anemonefish or the Goby has got to be removed.

BTW are you feeding them properly? See: Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition. Anemonefish are omnivores and need sea vegetables in their diet.

Thanks for all the help. I took the goby back and exchanged him for a Bangai Cardinal Fish. So far so good. Thanks-Desiree

Also, unlike fresh water fishes where you can add fishes, in saltwater world its a totally new and different ball game.

1) Saltwater fishes are very territorial. All new comer will become a threat.
2) Most SW fishes you cannot mix with the same species. Or they will fight until one is dead.
3) Also, not all SW fishes are coral safe!!!
4) Its recommended that when you buy and add fishes, you add them all at the same time. The reason for this is because they havent spotted any territory that they can own, so they are not that aggressive.
5) If there are cases that you want to add fish on an establised tank, then re-decorate the rockwork so that previous territories will be void.
6) If you cannot do this, then add new fishes with care at night with no lights. I suggest also to quarrantine any fish coming in for about two weeks, so that new fishes can adjust to new water chemistry and made sure that it is eating ready made foods before adding to the main tank. This will also make sure that they are 100% healthy and ready to defend themselves if needed.

Hope this helps. We dont want that your new experience be short lived. So before doing anything to your tank and you are in doubt, ask away. Even if it sounds stupid.

Cesar

Deshoyt, I started out just like you did. Hooked up with a lFS that was a complete a$$ and I fell for all of it. 6 months later, I have learned MANY lessons. I have had my share of trial and error. I learned to read, read, read and ask, ask, ask. It will get better.........

Thanks for the encouragement Pitmam01, I have learned ALOT from this board. And there still is ALOT to learn.

Back