Hello Washington!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Corriander

I have finally found time to find the local area reef forums . . . Hi everybody!

I moved to the area about 6 months ago and things are settled down enough for me to turn my attention back to the reef hobby. Hopefully I will be able to bring some experience and additional perspectives to the area while becoming a part of the community.

I have been in the hobby for over 20 years, starting my first saltwater tank from paper route money when I was 12. Since then, I have built and maintained systems ranging from a 4gal nano to a marine research center. I can’t help much when it comes to fish/coral behavior but I am always willing to help out when it comes to the mechanical/electrical/chemical aspects of the hobby.

My previous system was a 960gal zoanthid and ricordea farm I cobbled together out of scrap acrylic, 2x4’s left over from building my loft and two tanks I picked up along the way (165gal and 450gal). Sadly, nothing survived my 2000mile journey to Seattle. The last six months have been spent mentally recovering from that loss while I kept the sand/rock I brought with me cycling. Last week, however, I got most everything set back up properly and my 60gal cube project is back on track.

So, here I am - I have a nifty hand-built system, a bunch of experience and no critters. The few stores I have been to have been . . . well . . . a bit sparse and overpriced ($100 for a dozen brownish zoa’s? $10 for a blue damsel? Are you kidding?!?). Questions? Comments? Corals/fish in need of a good home?

Hello
Welcome to the NW.

You might want to check our our sponsors. The prices are fair and in some cases cheaper then most LFS. I prefer Barrier & Shark Reef myself but all have selections for each person.
Bob

Last edited:
WELCOME !!!

:)

Glad to see ya here .

Sorry about the loss while trying to travel 2000 miles with livestock-- I can imagine but not fully relate !!!

In the livestock section of this website are a few members selling there coarls for various reasons and most are not trying to do anything but recoup some funds . And allot of them are good !

Hopefully I will see you at the next PSAS Meeting ( The Locals Club )

:)

Paul

welcome to the PNW,

sorry about your rough move.

where in seattle are you?

you should definately check out Shark Reef (if you're up for an hour drive)
I've heard great theings about Barrier Reef (but yet to make it out there)

oh yeah,

where's the pics !!!!!

I only have construction pics of the cube at the moment. One of these days I will get around to taking a few of its current arrangement.

The system is a 60gal acrylic cube with a 30gal acrylic sump. The sump contains three chambers - the sock box, a refugium and the return area. The refugium is approximately 20 gallons. I designed and built the tank prior to my move with transportability in mind.

A picture of the sump mid-construction
Sump.jpg

Tank construction
Cube.jpg

Water flow in the tank is controlled by three QuietOne 3000 pumps. The main pump is on 24hrs, sits in the sump and returns through a pair of 3/4" 90degree loc-lines on diagonal corners on the top. The two closed loops draw from the back with one returning through opposed top corners as the main return and the other entering through the bottom of the tank and divided in to four ½” loc-lines. I will likely be replacing the QuietOne pumps with Eheim 1260’s in time.

My son helping me screw in the fittings (he is 1 in the picture)
plumbers_helper.jpg

Here all the fittings are visible (back, top and bottom of the tank) but the plumbing is not yet attached.
top_on.jpg

The pumps are attached directly on to the back of the tank and are removable thanks to a few unions and the design of the QuietOne pumps
pump_together.jpg

pump_apart.jpg

The lighting for the tank consists of one 250W DE MH, two 24W HO T5’s and some blue LED’s. The whole assortment of lighting is mounted to a 1/8” sheet of aluminum with a cooling shroud attached to the top for the MH. I added heat sinks to the exterior of the reflector housing to help draw heat away. Two 120mm fans move air through the shroud.

Flat shroud
Cut_shroud.jpg

Rough folds, pre-fans and rivets
shroud.jpg

MH reflector hiding in its cave
shroud2.jpg

That is all I have pictures of at the moment. Other bits I should probably photograph include the upper electrical controls, the auto-top off, the plumbing manifolds and the nifty two-stage overflow system I came up with.

Hey nice set up Jim... let me know when you want the rest of those goodies I promised you.

Back