hello

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tiny baby blue lip clownfish 20150320_072601.jpg
20150320_072556.jpg

Anyone successful at raising clownfish fry? I could use some advise. My latz clowns have spawned again. This is the 5th time. I read its best to leave the eggs with the clownfish until they are ready to hatch. I tried this but the eggs will get ate before they are ready to hatch. I had removed the rock the eggs were on & put it into a 10 gallon tank. There were only a few eggs left & I had 4 hatch. I read clownfish fry have poor eyesight & need light to see the rotifers. I had a small light on the tank. The fry would point down at the bottom of the tank. They lasted 2 days. I have since read that behavior is from too much light & it will kill them. The last time they spawned, almost all the eggs were ate again & had 4 hatch. I just used the light from the room. I also decided to get live nannochloropsis to add to the tank water. I only had 1 small bottle & quickly realized it wasn't going to last long. I ordered more to start a culture going. Before it arrived, I ended up adding RG COMPLETE which is what I feed my rotifers culture. 15 minutes later & they were dead. It contains nannochloropsis, buffer, & ammonia remover. Im guessing the buffer was to much. Three days ago they spawned again. This morning half the eggs were gone so I put them in a 10 gallon. I have current to keep the eggs oxygenated & will switch back to an air pump when they are ready to hatch. Any advice on rearing the fry will be appreciated. I also have brine shrimp eggs & tiger pods to feed the fry if they make it to that stage. 20150327_074458.jpg

Update on clownfish. My latz clownfish spawn on a regular schedule. Batch #6 was doing ok until I switched from rotifers to artemia. Lost them all. I did learn about decapsulated artemia eggs at this point. I didn't remove batch #7 soon enough & most eggs were ate. I did have a couple hatch & 2 are still doing great. One of them has gone through metamorphosis & now has stripes! Batch 8 hatched & there are about 15 doing great! Batch 9 has already happened so I had to get another 10 gallon tank to keep things going. Here is a picture of a tiny latz clownfish. 20150606_142954.jpg

Hi blue lip! Very kool and exciting. Looks like lil baby clarki clowns to me! Congrats on the babys!
-d

They do look like baby clarki! When they get older the middle stripe gets wide which is why they are also called wideband clownfish. They can also develop blue lips as they mature thus they are also called blue lip clownfish. The price of them is nothing similar to a clarki clownfish though. They can be difficult to find for sale. Yourfishstore.com has them on sale for $454.30. They actually have a large selection of clownfish. The latz clownfish is their most expensive.

Back