HELP! 40 breeder stand question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefbobc

My son just filled up his 40 gal breeder tank last night and here is the problem.

It is sitting on one of the NSF stainless metal rack systems like you can buy from Costco. Similar to this one but not as tall and with no wheels. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11312799&search=nsf racks&Mo=3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=nsf racks&Ntt=nsf racks&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
The rack says that it can hold up to 600 pounds per shelf, but today I noticed that the shelf is bending slightly in the middle therefore the only place the tank is contacting the shelf is on the right and left edge and there is no contact anywhere else.

Needless to say this makes me nervous about the possible stress on the glass and possible leaking or worse.

Advice? Has anyone else used one of these racks? Or should we just get a different stand? Thanks!

Two thoughts and this is purely brainstorming here.

1. Get another stand that can hold the weight (this is my choice)
2. Use the current stand, but first drain the tank, then get some plywood to put on the rack then place the tank back on the rack...hopefully the plywood will give more stability to the tank.

HTH
Kirk

600lbs is evenly distributed along the whole shelf. Which a 40breeder is 36" long leaving 12" of no weight. Also are the wheels attached? That adds even more stress to those points. I would absolutely build or get another stand. I have several of these types of stands and I would be unlikely to even trust a 20gallon tank on one of these shelves long term.

stand

i have a few of those and no tanks on them....because the shelves are held in place with a plastic shim not to sterdy bowing could be from lack of a shelve on top allowing the poles to lean in i,d build a 2x4 stand or find the right stand for the tank good luck

Thanks for the input. I love Reef Frontiers! You are all thinking like me. The rack is not on wheels and there is a small sheet of particle board under the tank but I don't think that is helping much. I guess we'll look for another stand or build one. Anybody got a stand that will work for a 40 breeeder?

i have a few of those and no tanks on them....because the shelves are held in place with a plastic shim not to sterdy bowing could be from lack of a shelve on top allowing the poles to lean in i,d build a 2x4 stand or find the right stand for the tank good luck

I believe Blue Sierra was having a sale on 40B tanks and stands. Not sure if it is still going on.

Back