Help brown film on surface of water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

markutj

I have a 29 b.c. my water par. appear to be close and everything is thriving in the tank. However cant seem to get rid of this brown film on the surface of the water i do about 3-4 gallon water change a week seems small but have alot of live rock with coral so about right for water volume. I had the b.c. skimmer but it broke and really was junk anyway. I have been skimming it off during water change but does little to help and when i do this stuff just sticks all over your hands and arm im guessing some type algae. Oh ya been running carbon alot too. Anyway i appreciate any help anyone can offer me thanks again.

What he said on the skimmer +1, also more suface agitation may help as well, maybe you could also try switch from carbon to some Purigen ultra and chemipure elite to discourage growth.

Ok first of all thanks for the help. First has anyone had this happen to them and any ideas what it is and the reason its shown up suddenly? Is their any other skimmers on the market for the biocube especially not air pump driven guessing not do to space. Well to all other reefers thanks again.

I'm sure it's surface protein that is not getting skimmed off. Protein floats and that is where it will stay unless removed via surface skimming.
I run a 26g with no overflow period. Until I got my Hydor Nano Skimmer I had the same issue. Now the protein is being removed and not just pushed around or recycled.
Why all of a sudden you ask? My only answer is that's its finally built up and has no where else to go.

I just got tank from father maybe 6 months ago when he decided reef keeping wasnt for him. I loaded it with coral that was over growing in my other tank so i assumed it was protein build up just never had it like this i guess i always try to maintain my tanks good as possible guess just done ok with other one and never encountered a build up so bad i guess. I prob need to move some coral back to other tank just not sure where to put it out of room. Anyway do you know of other skimmers for the 29 b.c. Hey thanks for answering and the help.

I don't know the exact measurements of the second chamber on the 29 biocube. I do know several who add a skimmer to that chamber. Best I can tell you is google *29g biocube skimmer* You'll find em on YouTube also.
Good luck and keep us posted :)

there is a few. I dont know how well they fit for inside. but cpr has some. and jbj. kinda look around. you may want to get one that is hang on and not put in the back of the bc

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

I just got tank from father maybe 6 months ago when he decided reef keeping wasnt for him. I loaded it with coral that was over growing in my other tank so i assumed it was protein build up just never had it like this i guess i always try to maintain my tanks good as possible guess just done ok with other one and never encountered a build up so bad i guess. I prob need to move some coral back to other tank just not sure where to put it out of room. Anyway do you know of other skimmers for the 29 b.c. Hey thanks for answering and the help.

You could send your excess coral to me! J/k, or am i? Anyways. Check with barrier reef aquariums. There here in washington, but theyre a sponsor, check the sponsors page. They have a small skimmer, believe its from CAD. Ask them about it. Believe it has a 4" footprint. Other than that, get that water surface agitating.

Back