Help, Bubble Algae attact!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wndsrfn

I'm a newbie to reefing. I have had my 55 gal. tank setup for about 10 months now and have had a bubble algae problem in the last month or so. I have heard and read that Emerald Crabs & Rabbitfish can help with certain types of bubble algae. Are these the best methods for removing most types of bubble algae? Any suggestions would be most appreciated, thank you!

IMO I would think 3 would be a good number. I'd be interested to hear other opinions on the number of crabs though.

I tried to find some info. on how many per gallon, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if the crabs will go after any corals? Thanks for the info.

I tried to find some info. on how many per gallon, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if the crabs will go after any corals? Thanks for the info.

I've heard of cases of emerald crabs going after coral but I've never experienced it myself.

I am at this very moment using 1 emerald in my 26g along with manual removal. I've yet to see the crab actually eating the bubble algae. However he is just a lil guy. So we shall see once he's grown a bit bugger.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I had two in my 58. They started out the same size, but one of them grew quite large. I never observed either of them touching any corals. They just grazed on algae.

I just talked to a guy thats been in the hobby for 20 years and never seen his emerald crabs touch coral so I'd say your safe to get emeralds. The cases I heard of could have been a mistake. For example there could have been algae next to the coral and the person thought it was eating the coral.

Last edited:
I have tried the E crab approach, and have never seen any one of the 5 I put in my 75 eat any of the B algae.
IMO the crabs are a hit and miss. If it were me I would add about 10 of the crabs. Then maybe 5 of them would eat the BA. I have resorted to manually removing the BA and dealing with my nutrient problem that causes the BA

I have had 3 of them. One was like a lawnmower on green hair algae, you could see him mowing the rocks clean. The other two would just hide in the rocks and not touch anything. Never saw them touch bubble algae.

I love emerald crabs, I never had them bothering my corals. After I move I want to get some for my tank.

i keep 1 in my 20g and 2 in my 90g no bubble alge in sight and i put a frag frome some1 in ther that had some on it and gha by morning the plug was bright white. i have whinesed them pulling polyps of kenya and ponape birds nest out. not cleaning it they were causing white spots on the coral but was minimal.

Back