Help critique my system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tbs=tampa bay saltwater aquacultured live rock and sand from the gulf of mexico off the florida coast. all 3 of my tanks were started this way. his rock looks the same

actually, the Live rock came from liverocks.com a 1.5 years ago right before all the hurrican's and ride tide it and put them under.

Nice pictures. You summarized my points well in your reply. I hope nothing I said was offensive?!?, was just trying to provide constructive criticism.
I am really hoping to get a new battery for my camera so I can get some pics up soon. You will be able to see what that tank is going to look like when it grows in, which I'm sure it will. Unfortunately my photography skills aren't so good, so we'll have to see how that turns out. LOL.

indeed... it all gets back to having a plan. If you agree that you don't want to kill animals... do want to have a magnificent tank that looks better and better in time... then we must have a long term plan.

Most people will not keep a greyhound or a bull Mastiff in an efficiency apartment... and just because those that do still keep their dogs alive doesnt make it right or the dogs examples of optimal health and wellness.

Many aquarists admire the magnificent mature German, Japanese, etc aquariums...

These are aquarists that have room for say 5 mature corals and so they start with not more than say 8. They whittle out the few that dont fare as well or fall out of favor, then in 2, 3.. 5 years - they have a truly magnificent tank (50-100 gall in this example) with mature corals that look much more like they do on the reef... are more disease resistent... demonstarte behaviors usually not seen (types of polyp extension, polyp formation, planulation, etc)

By not stocking a tank too fast or too heavily, the animals do not waste precious energy on defense or recovery, but rather channel it into glorious health :)

Biotope displays also save you time and stress (less disease - Xeno or otherwise natural but stress induced from the unnatural crowding)

Put another way... if you say that you are that uncommon aquarist that does not empathize with these organisms as living creatures, has the money to treat the tank like a piece of furniture... and is willing to accept any extra work or mortalities to have a garden tank the way you want it - then that I can understand. I can even accept it. Its an honest answer even if I do not agree with the intentions.

But most aquarists are not that way. They just need a little reminder of how good things can be... and that we have an obligation on many levels here with the living resources that we admire enough to throw thousands of dollars of our money at ;)

By not stocking a tank too fast or too heavily, the animals do not waste precious energy on defense or recovery, but rather channel it into glorious health

ok i have a question :p, i know i have asked this before but never to you Anthony.
how long do you think you should start adding another coral after you added one...eg. you add an orange monti cap, how long after that do you think people should wait to add another coral to their tanks?

ahhh... very good/fair question. And with the caveat that our goal for fishes or corals is to only stock to the long term max (not beyond with the intention of whittling it down or upgrading later... as too many folks do with fishes such as bohemoth tangs, etc)... I will say:

- Stock fishes as slow as humanly possible (your patience needed... monthly per max)

- Stock corals as fast as you like

Generalizing grossly here:

fishes are a net burden... especially (and extremely) on the near/new side age of the tank (less than one year old)

corals and other filter feeders are generally a very slight burden and some can be a net import (banking or processing more nutrients than they take/make)

So if this were my 75 gallong aquarium... I'd have put 8 corals in within 2 months of the rock being cured and the tank biologically sound... but I would take another year to add 5-7 fishes (5" max adult size)

That tank will have less trouble with nuisance algae and pests (nutrient driven), and corals will spur growth faster than the dreadful frag menageries we (too) commonly see. The headstart will really show its worth though when the tank finds its stride after 18 months

When is your next payday Gaby???

LOL!! i'm a staying at home mom dood but paycheck is every two weeks :D:p.
Right now i'm waiting to move into the new home so i can finally get the A. atenious i've been wanting for to long hehe .

ahhh... very good/fair question. And with the caveat that our goal for fishes or corals is to only stock to the long term max (not beyond with the intention of whittling it down or upgrading later... as too many folks do with fishes such as bohemoth tangs, etc)... I will say:

- Stock fishes as slow as humanly possible (your patience needed... monthly per max)

- Stock corals as fast as you like

Generalizing grossly here:

fishes are a net burden... especially (and extremely) on the near/new side age of the tank (less than one year old)

corals and other filter feeders are generally a very slight burden and some can be a net import (banking or processing more nutrients than they take/make)

So if this were my 75 gallong aquarium... I'd have put 8 corals in within 2 months of the rock being cured and the tank biologically sound... but I would take another year to add 5-7 fishes (5" max adult size)

That tank will have less trouble with nuisance algae and pests (nutrient driven), and corals will spur growth faster than the dreadful frag menageries we (too) commonly see. The headstart will really show its worth though when the tank finds its stride after 18 months

thank you Anthony for your response :) , it makes me feel less guilty :p... last time i added a fish was about a year a go or even more and i only have three he he .

I think this has Inspired me even more to stick to my plan, I'll have a few corals in my 125 & even less fish, & we'll all be happy:)
You would be surprised , (well maybe not) but people just look and say why not load it up with fish, put a ton in there it will be ok. I get drilled with that often & get tired explaining why I never had more than a few fish, I just don't believe i could possibly support a good home for more, & they still don't understand it, comparing it to fresh water. It earks me a bit but when I log onto RF most of the time it sooths me to know that we do have people that care, & I guess that is all I could ask for.
Way to go Gabs, that is cool with your tank, I really agree it takes years before a tank really starts looking good or should I say from good to great!

one cure for too many fish is to have one tank set up as fowlr. stock away and only keep 2-3 fish in the reef tank. it works for me

I can part with fish though. It doesn't bother me to sell off the coral beauty for the sake of a healthier system. I can also get rid of the softies. I think this fix is actually super easy. I'd rather have to get rid of some things than just about any other problem.

Yeah its not that bad. It is taking me a while to get rid of my softies. I don't want to sell them to a LFS for next to nothing so I am taking my time shopping them. I have a friend who is thinking about starting and I much rather help get somebody else into the hobby and be able to make sure the corals get good maintenance.

I agree. I want to do the same thing. Problem is, my devils hand absolutely hates metal halide lighting. Even though i've got him in the shade, he doesn't inflate as much as he use to under the pc's.

Last edited:
I had a similar conversation a while back in this forum. It's hard to see all the amazing tanks people have and resist the temptation to build the 'reef garden' that Anthony mentions.

There's only one logical conclusion: You need more tanks :)

Mark

Finally making some progress on "reorganizing" my tank. Last week I fragged a huge Sinularia colony into 5 medium size pieces, giving me 6 mediums in my tank. Took 3 pieces to the LFS for sale, leaving me with 3. Gave my buddy a tank Sunday. He should have it up and running in about a month, so then I can dump the rest of the sinularia and some shrooms.
I replaced the sinularia with a large yellow cup coral. approx 6"x9" that came with a couple or red ball sponges on the bottom. I already had green and blue sponges that was cool.
Anthony, just as a note the overall tank didn't see any change. (As expected one coral out of 50 can only be so much of a problem), but the brain coral closest to the sinularia has been looking much better. I used to think it was 1 of only 2 or 3 corals that never seemed quite happy in my tank. Apparently you were correct it seems to have been the sinularia causing the stress.
As mentioned I am going to continue to remove softies, and replace with SPS/LPS. I will keep everyone informed on how it goes.

thanks for the progress report/update, my friend... good to hear. :)

'Tis true... the seemingly innocuous softies can have quite a silent (negative) impact on an aquarium.

it's been over four months since I reevaluated my system and got some good advice from you all on how to change things for the better. In the last 4 months, the tank has made much progress. I've upgraded to a larger skimmer, asmg2. Maybe not the best skimmer, but it's working really well for my needs. I've removed the xenia, toadstool, gsp, shrooms, and octopus leather. The only species of coral that remain are a few lps, sps and some zoos. I've sold the coral beauty as well. I've since seen a dramatic change in how clean the tank is.

I've enhanced the way i add kalk/top off water by slowing the flow rate of kalk water into the sump using an aqualifter pump. Before I was using a maxi 400 and it was adding kalk too fast. I've also installed a geo calcium reactor.

The peppermint shrimp are gone, and I've added a fighting conch to help clean the sand and keep the sand bed from "filling up".

I've added a bigger fuge, 10g total.

The one question I still have is about running carbon. Many seem to have great success running carbon. I only use chemi-pure sacks, and wonder what if any benefit would come from using more carbon. My nitrates and nitrites are 0.

i'm actually going through a bit of a nuisance algae problem right now. I'm not sure if I should add more carbon sacks to the sump, use a sock filter, or some other kind of phosban/denitrator.

The DSB is coming up on 2 years old, so that might have something to do with it as well. I've heard some complain about DSB becasue after a few years of use, they start seeing nusiance algae all a sudden and a few corals die back a bit. It woudl be nice to eliminate the nuisance algae. any thoughts.

I would just like to thank you. It is brave to put all this up on such a public forum. I have some of the very same problems in my aquarium as yours had and it is making me take a realistic look at what I am keeping and why. I like a lot of different species and types and for an aquarium to be packed with coral. I guess what I am getting at is that I never really thought about what the coral would tolerate. Weird really when I think about it! I always looked at each individuals needs for light and flow but never really looked at how big they get and whether they could coexist successfully.

Again thanks!

Last edited:
Back