Help, I am foaming

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JARoos

I am in the process of setting up my new tank, a 54 corner with sump (All Glass with matching sump). The sump has my EuroReef Skimmer inside.

My problem is foam everywhere. Its developing in the drip tray as the water bubbles over. In addition, if I try to run the skimmer, the foam blows the top off the collection cup. Plus it fills the sump and subsequently the tank.

The foam almost feels soapy, but the tank is otherwise clear and without any scum or the like.

Is this a new tank phenomenon, and will running the filter a few days stop the foam. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
Joel

Welcome to the forum Joel!!! first of all, did you clean the skimmer with white vinegar or anything??? the reason i ask is because oils on new equipment can cause something like this!!!

Sounds like you either need to open the gate valve some on the skimmer outlet or my guess is you need to remove all this stuff & the skimmer is working overtime. I would let it foam & dump it out, within a few hours or sooner really, It should regain control!

Welcome to RF BTW! :D

Welcome to RF Joel!!! Hope you enjoy it here:D

About the skimmer, it does sound strange. Have you used this skimmer before on another system or is this the first time up and running? It almost sounds like there is something in the tank causing it to go crazy which means it should resume proper operation once skimmed off or it could just need re-adjusting etc...Just a thought. Hope you get it sorted out soon:)

Are you using a filter sock somewhere on this setup?
If it’s new and has not been rinsed first before use, this might be the problem.

Current equipment and chemistry

First off, thanks for the replies.

The tank has beeen running now for over 24 hours. Here is my chemistry values. I know the salinity still needs adjustment

Ca Cu dKH NH3 NO2 NO3 pH PO4 Salinity
365 0 15 0 3.5 10 8.2 2 1.0271

The skimmer I purchased and Mag 5 pump were purchased used. The drip tray, bio balls and tubing were all purchased new. I did not clean anything with soap, vinegar or the like.
I still have not run the skimmer, as the foam in my drip tray is still significant - enough lather for a good shave!

I have noticed that my tap water (no I/O unit yet) has a tendency to "foam" when aerated through a nozzle. I suspect there is a relationship.

Any other ideas.
Thanks
Joel

Back