help I am new

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

msand

I just aquired a reef tank that has been established for two years and I have a few questions. every thing seemed to go well for about a week we have our water tested at a local reef store and the salinity and nitrates seem ok however the tank dosen't seem quite as clear and the protien skimmer is putting tiny bubbles in the tank and the kalupa has bigger bubbles sticking to it. Also we added three fish and they all died in a few days but all of the origanil fish seem well.
I have a 80 gal with a 400 w hal light and about 50w blue floresent 5 green cromi damzels 2 tangs 1 mandren dragonet 1 clown, some tree coral. what am I doing wrong.

How did you add the fish? What type of skimmer do you have? Has anything died that you know of, ie are all the fish accounted for? Corals look fine?

How big is the tank? When did you acquired this tank? Does it have a sand?
Your tank maybe old or established before but because of the move... you have accidentally disturbed the balance you have there previously.

dont rely exclusively on testing by a fish store. some do a good job and some just make up numbers. get test kits for the basics, especially ammonia right now since you moved the tank. when you drain a tank and move it and refill it the nitrates usually rise pretty high and sometimes ammonia climbs too and that is one that can do damage very quickly. kevin at aquatic dreams is very helpful but he is also very busy and there is no replacement for having the ability to test for yourself. there may be nothig really wrong with your tank but you need to test immediately to know what to do. salifert tests seem to be very reliable and accurate. many others sold in lots of fish stores are NOT!

Welcome to RF! The guys have already asked quite a few good questions...I guess we'll all wait on the responses in the meantime. Hope you enjoy it here:)

Thank's for all of your help
I have a 80 gallon tank with two hang on the back infusiums and a protine skimmer I'm sory but I do not know the brand names.
All of the fish that got when we got the tank seem well all are accounted for; however the three we bougth all died. I added them by pouring them into a net and then putting them into the tank one at a time, I'm not sure why they died but the orignal fish are fine.
I am concerined about the tiny bubbles comming out of the protine skimmer they weren't there for the first week, I trise cleanning the skimmer but it didn't help, also the tank dosn't seem to be quite as clear as a week ago, I can see tiny particals in the water.
I here what your saying no new fish but how long should I wait and weha about coral

Last edited:
Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!
I went through this exact same thing when I bought my tank used. For the best results (this is my opinion) treat your tank just like a brand new setup and you will be fine. Can you take pictures of the skimmer and other filtration and post them? I would wait a while on corals, in this situation patience is your best medicine. What store in Spokane tested your water? If you haven't checked out Aquatic Dreams you should, Kevin is great (and yes he is busy).
I might have missed if you said this already but how often (and how large) do you do water changes? They are vital at this stage in the game.
I waited 3-4 months before adding new fish to the ones that came with my tank (the ones that didn't die anyway). I might do things slower than most (my bank account tells me to) but it has been successful.

Tim

When you add new fish, set their bags (open) in a bowl in the sink (with the stopper in!) and go get a couple of {glass, no metal} cups of water from your tank. Add this water to the bag at the rate of about a [plastic!} tablespoon or so ever so many minutes over an hour until the water is about half and half. This assures that the new fish or invertebrate (shrimp, particularly!) is not shocked by a change in water. THEN you transfer said fish in a net to your tank.

Get test kits and use them faithfully, every few days until you know how this tank behaves. I personally like Salifert tests: they aren't cheap, but they're the best protection against error your expensive specimens have.
If you intend to keep corals and fish: get the test for alkalinity and the test for calcium; get a refractometer (salinity); and two thermometers of different type, one for the sump, one for the tank.
This is what your readings should be:
Temperature: about 80. Never as high as 84!
Salinity: 1.024-6.
Alkalinity: 8.3-10 (middle is best)
Calcium: 400-450. (4oo is best)
Magnesium (if you aren't having luck balancing the alk and cal) 1200-1280.
You should be changing out 10% of the water with salt ro/di water once a week.
You should be 'topping off' any evaporation daily with freshwater ro/di water.
Your lights should be on a timer---you've got enough to think of and it's hard to balance temperature until they are timed.
Hope that helps.

Back