Help! I need a very quiet pump for my closed loop?!?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NanoReefer411

Okay,
So I have gotten some suggestions. I need a very Quiet pump on my closed loop. Bought the QO 5000 for the CL and it sounds like an airplane!!!! I live in an apartment and need something super quiet. This is a 40 gallon breeder with a 29 gallon sump/fuge. Will house LPS, SPS, and Clams. Main Display Fish is a Mandarin. Now, I was told a Pan World Pump is one of the quietest pumps for this. The most quiet was the Poseidon or Velocity T-4, but I was told it would add about 8 degrees to my tank. So people, I need your help. Anyone have a Pan World Pump? How Quiet Are they? I was thinking of the one that pumps 1100 GPH. I have a Quiet One 3000 for my return which I say is probably pumping 650 GPH. I was also told Ehiem but it only pumps 900 GPH and I was told it most likely wouldn't be enough flow for SPS and LPS. Can you help?:(

Most of these pumps submersed are much quieter but induce more heat. As far as quiet, unless you had one of each I find it hard to say, one opinion of quiet may not be the type of quiet you need. If your doing a CL you don't have much of any head loss to consider so that Ehiem would still do well in a small tank but before you do this maybe in your situation you would be better off with a Tunze Stream with a controller, Or maybe the EcoTec. I had the Tunze in my 100g tank & it moved water great, so I'm sure for the cost, quietness & less heat these would be hard to beat. JMO, 2 cents, etc etc...

Bob(Reefdaddy) @ Aquarium Extreme was telling me about a very quiet pump...send him a pm about it!!!

Panworlds can be really loud from whine of the fan on the Back. What I was telling Ron about was Mod for the Panworld that quieted it down to nothing. I will find the link for ya, But if your looking for quiet with Random flow, Go like Scooter said or go Sieo with the new controller.

I am currently doing that mod on my Iwaki right now. You will need a flat copper heatsink and fan. First you take the fan cover off and then the fan. You will need to drill a hole in the bottom of the heatsink to allow the shaft on the pump to fit into the heatsink. Then it just bolts right up to it. This way you can use a quieter fan that you can bare and still have it cool down your pump. I will post pics once I get it done on mine if interested.

So then I should try that with the Pan World? Or should I just go with a Posiedon and use the heat sink idea with that? Another member from RF told me to try the heatsink with the Posiedon. I unfortunately will have to do this all myself. My bf will not help me. Is there a step by step way of doing this? What do you think about just using the PS4? Would you go with the Pan World over PS4? I am interested in some pictures of how you did this David. Thank you.

Sequence Pumps wopuld be better then hacking on a New Pump. I have to agree with Scoot here as well. I have run a Reeflo Hammehead on a CL and never had complaint one on noise from the pump.

On my tank I use the 4200 series, about twice as much, very little heat period. I would say with enough outlets it would be ok for your tank, you could reduce the inlet to 1 1/2" also may add a little heat but would reduce the flow but you may want to get more information or opinions before getting gone with 2500g of flow, some peoples idea of too much or not enough flow isn't the same. JMO!

http://www.aquariumextreme.com/mm5/...ore_Code=AE&Product_Code=RFSN&Category_Code=P

Oh did I tell you that I have a sequence 4200 that I use on my 125, 2" suction & 1 1/2" out to a header I built. That pump is so quite can't hear it, uses an A.O. Smith motor. Sequence now makes an even smaller pump, I bet would be ideal for your application.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ct_Code=SQ-REEFLO10-SW&Category_Code=Sequence

Scoot i believe that is the snapper from Sequence. It maybe to much for her tank? What size tank is this for Nano? is this the 40 you were talking about?

yes it is for the 40 gallon breeder. Here are my list of corals I'd like to keep. Of course I may take some out, but just so you get an idea of what I'd like to keep. What is an MBV? Well here are some of my corals on my list so far, Branching Acropora down the road, Trumpet Coral, Montipora Vase Coral, Crocea Clams, Sun Polyps, Hammer Coral, Favia, Stylophora Coral, Pink Peony Pocillopora Coral, Everygreen Starburt Polyp, White Pom Pom Xenia (maybe) Pipe Organ Coral, Zoanthids in low flow areas away from other corals. Here is just some of what I'd like to keep. I might change of course. I'd start out easy then build my way up. Just so you guys know. Let me know what you think.

Back