Help! I need a very quiet pump for my closed loop?!?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

it is for the 40 gallon reef. I call it nano because it is small to me. I was talking about for my 40 gallon sps, lps tank. Please someone help! I just feel like giving up. =*(

NanoReefer411: Did you get my PM? I would read up on that thread that I sent to you in PM. Check it out and I would think that would be the way to go. Get the Panworld 50PX-X and do the mod on it. That or if you're not worried about the heat, get a Poseidon as those are virtually silent but varies with how much it raises the tank temp since its a water cooled pump. If you're trying to get as quiet as possible without going with an insump pump then I would think thats what you need to do. Feel free to ask any other questions thats what everybody is here for(at least I would hope so ;) ) Good luck
HTH

If you get the sequence Squirt it will be enough for your CL & they are dead silent, move 2500gph. We have a thread going on with another 40g breeder & the recommendation is the same, it doesn't make sense to buy a pump then mod it out the box.

Scooterman and everyone thank you all for your help. I did read up on that Pan World Mod. It sounds good. If I need to do it I will. Now my local reef shop posted on here to try a Sequence Snapper. That way I could increase my flow if I need to, or decrease it. It is supposed to be very quiet as well. It only draws 98 watts. That sounds good to me. My question is, how would you plumb that thing? I see you need a 2 in feed to the pump. Is there a way to reduce that? Is there something I can buy at home depot to fit onto that pump to decrease the 2in to 3/4 in? I have all my plumbing done and everything is 3/4in. =( I don't see how I could incorporate that into my system. Can you help?

The only way you will get that kind of flow rates is by sucking in a large amount of water, The only pumps that will hook up to a 3/4" inlet would be the smaller pumps, If you restrict the inlet your hurting the pump, regardless what name brand you go with. I had a 5 foot tank & tried different configurations with closed loop pumps. Closed loops don't have much head pressure to consider because they are isolated from air thus Closed! I tried a 900gph pump on an external CL & It actually worked well. In this case as your saying, your limited by the plumbing, I would get the largest pump with 3/4" in & 3/4" out, I strongly urge against restricting the inlet, it will raise the heat, noise & eventually hurt the motor if not burn it. The only other option is do like I did & build a header, I installed two 1 1/2" bulkheads & made a header that I increased to 2" & used that to for the inlet on my pump, you could maybe use two 3/4" inlets & get a pump with a 1" in/out for more flow.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13724&d=1151284359

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13723&d=1151284344

Back