Help in Anemone ID

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pepetj

I'm not sure where to post this question so I ask the moderators to place it where it should be if improper to post here.

This anemone specimen is a nocturnal species, it "retracts" at daylight while "opens up" at night time (excuse me for not knowing the correct technical term). Trying to ID what I have... it looks to me as belonging to one species of the Aiptisia family.

It ressembles a Curly-Cue anemone only that in comparisson to the pics I've seen in the web this one has short and thick rather than large and thin tentacles.

It has a small size, likely under one inch in diameter when "closed" and I estimate that a bit under three inches when "open". I caught this specimen in shallow sandy substrate (around 2 feet depth) as I was collecting macroalgae. It was attached to the skeleton of a hard coral buried in the sand.

Thank you

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

I'm not sure where to post this question so I ask the moderators to place it where it should be if improper to post here.

This anemone specimen is a nocturnal species, it "retracts" at daylight while "opens up" at night time (excuse me for not knowing the correct technical term). Trying to ID what I have... it looks to me as belonging to one species of the Aiptisia family.

It ressembles a Curly-Cue anemone only that in comparisson to the pics I've seen in the web this one has short and thick rather than large and thin tentacles.

It has a small size, likely under one inch in diameter when "closed" and I estimate that a bit under three inches when "open". I caught this specimen in shallow sandy substrate (around 2 feet depth) as I was collecting macroalgae. It was attached to the skeleton of a hard coral buried in the sand.

Thank you

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

where did you get the pic?

Back