Help me choose a Calcium Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

Hi all,

I want to grow SPS and maybe get a clam some day....I also want simple as-automated-as possible calcium/alk management.

Could you please help me choose a calcium reactor for my 120 gallon that is

1. easy to set up and maintain
2. reliable and durable
3. best value

THANKYOU once again for your assistance in bringing me along... :D ;)

Shuran and Precision Marine come to mind. For value look at Coral Vues octpus model. Value generaly is something pretty tough to say on CR models, your gonna spend some money either way.

i just got a reef octopus reactor and i couldn't be happier. it easy to set up, build quality is great, has kept my Alk solid at 9dkh since day 1 and the price was great. this is the second reactor ive had. the first "uber" reactor i had i hated, the pump always jammed, wouldn't hold my dkh, i could go on and on but the only good thing about that reactor was that everyone is so in love with the name that i sold it for what i paid for it 9 months earlier(3x's what i paid for the reefoctopus)

Excellent! This is exactly the kind of info. I was hoping to get! :D

Question...in looking at this dual chamber Octopus reactor, it looks like it's got those little white plastic screw things on top. Those are kind of a pain to put on and off, aren't they? How often does a person need to undo these to perform maintenance on the reactor?

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1074

Last edited:
Don, could you recommend a brand of regulator and your preferred vendor for that/and CO2?

Thankyou

the duel chamber is the one i got. the thump screws are no big deal, the top is keyhole cut so you only have to turn the screws one or 2 turns then twist the top and lift it off. depending on how fast you go through the media you shouldn't need to get in there but every few months.

jan you got PM

Last edited:
i went on the cheep this time, no controller, ph meter. just reactor, bottle regulator and feed pump. got my bottle from local gas place full for $75

thanks everyone

I went with the Octopus CR dual chamber, the Genx regulator and 10 gallon CO2 bottle. :)

thanks everyone

I went with the Octopus CR dual chamber, the Genx regulator and 10 gallon CO2 bottle. :)

Did you mean 10lb co2 bottle. Thats a big bottle, you wont need co2 for a Looong time?

Don

Awesome!!!!!

Looks like I'm chiming in pretty late, but I think you made some really good selections for equipment Jan.

I'm glad Don got to you in time to steer you away from the milwaukee regulator - the selenoid on mine gave out after about a year. Genx is what I have now and so far, so good - glad to see you went w/ that too.

Dual chambers - from what I've heard - very efficient and I've also heard similar good things about Octupus.

and a 10 pounder - yep, If I had to do it again, that's the route I'd go too. It's one less thing to have to worry about.

So two follow up questoins:

• What media are you going with?
  • and, are you planning on adding a controller of some sort at a point in time in the future? (they are not necessary, but nice to have)

So two follow up questoins:

What media are you going with?
and, are you planning on adding a controller of some sort at a point in time in the future? (they are not necessary, but nice to have)

I bought a gallon of A.R.M. media...it sounded good in print (and that's always a good reason to choose something, right?)

For a controller, I have an Aquacontroller Jr. on order, and that comes with the ph controller that I should be able to connect up with the CR, right?

oops, just got an email from ReefTek that the GenX regulator is on backorder with no estimated arrival date.

Must find new regulator.....

I bought a gallon of A.R.M. media...it sounded good in print (and that's always a good reason to choose something, right?)

For a controller, I have an Aquacontroller Jr. on order, and that comes with the ph controller that I should be able to connect up with the CR, right?

I would cancel the order for arm and get the larger genx media. I would say based on the questions your asking your carx experience is limited. Arm is a media that turns to mush very easy. A few co2 bubble to many will turn the media to mud.

Don

the duel chamber Rx is bigger then you think. i got 2 gal of the Genx media and it wasn't enough. luckily i had some aquamedic media left over from before so i filled chamber #1 full with Genx,#2 about 5" with aquamedic then topped it up with the rest of the Genx. the reason i did it like this is because chamber #1 will have a lower PH then #2 some if you want the most out of the Rx you can put a media that dissolves at a higher PH in #2

chamber #1 will have a lower PH then #2 some if you want the most out of the Rx you can put a media that dissolves at a higher PH in #2

Yes, this seems to be a major benefit of the dual chamber so I do want to take advantage of the opportunity. What would you recommend as this other media type for chamber #2? I couldn't put carbon in there, could I?

Back