Help me ID this snail

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I can't remember off hand but I can tell what book it is in. The book is called A PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-to-Know Aquarium Species by Ronald L. Shimek. If you have probably seen this book before at pretty much any LFS. I am on campus right now, and don't have my copy with me or I would just tell you. But hopefully somebody else with the book can.

I got a free frag of Zoo's from my friend the other day who owns a LFS. When he wrapped up my Zoo's in a bag, he noticed that exact same snail in the bag. He told me when I get home, make sure I toss that snail out. I didn't bother to ask why, but I'm pretty sure it's bad.

I got a free frag of Zoo's from my friend the other day who owns a LFS. When he wrapped up my Zoo's in a bag, he noticed that exact same snail in the bag. He told me when I get home, make sure I toss that snail out. I didn't bother to ask why, but I'm pretty sure it's bad.

yeah dood you don't wanna have that type of snail because then you'll end up with no zoos and make sure you look for eggs and nudis just in case.

Definately a heliacus snail....a zoanthid eater. You can just make out the cone shaped operculum.

450heliacus-snail.jpg

Thank you everyone. I could easily see the cone shaped operculum when looking at the snail, it just didn't show up in my picture.

It had come attached to a rock with multiple Zoo polyps. I only discovered it when I broke the rock apart. My wife thought it was beautiful, so it went back into the tank. :eek:

Luckily I saw it this morning and out it came. I have inspected all my clustes of zoos and I don't think I see any eggs, but I'll be vigilant in the future.

Back