help me identify! is this a pest? rapid spread......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Somethings Fishy

hey i have noticed these brown specks growing in the past month usually in more shade than full (sun) anyway not sure what they are or if they are normal, please help me identify! what you guys think?
P1040029.jpg

P1040027.jpg

P1030994.jpg

P1030999.jpg

Can you get some out and put them in a clear container and take pics? Is i like an algae or are they moving? If it moves, it could be flatworms. Hard to tell from the pics. Looks like an algae though.

they do not move and appears to be some sort of algae. ill try to take pics tomorrow of they in a sep container.....

No they dont look like flatworms, but I think it is definately an algae. Could be that area is not getting enought flow and there is bacteria building up in that area. You might want to syphon that area out as much out as possible and see if you can re arrange your power heads to get a little more flow in that area.

they are spread throughout my tank.. i have a 40 gallon with over 1000gph flow, ill try to change directions with the power-heads to see if this helps

Suck some out, with a turkey baster, trying not to get too much sand. Then put them in a shallow container, and get a nice, focused photo. In my opinion, it does look like you have a Flatworm epidemic in the makings. Red Planaria. These aren't the bad flatworms, but still can become a nuisance, if allowed to reproduce at the speed that they're able to.

They become a problem, under 2 different scenarios.

1. They can reproduce to the extent that they actually cover your corals, blocking out lighting to the corals.

2. When they die, they become toxic. If you treat them, with Salifert Flatworm Exit, without taking a couple of precautions, and have a mass die off, in your tank, it can crash your tank. To treat them, with Salifert Flatworm Exit, is safe, IF you do it right. First, remove as many as you can possibly fine, BEFORE treatment. You can safely treat with 3X the recommended dosage. Within a few minutes of treatment, they'll start to die and float around your water column. It's important to remove as many dead ones as you can.

......theses flatworms dont look like they move......
No they dont look like flatworms, but I think it is definately an algae. Could be that area is not getting enought flow and there is bacteria building up in that area. You might want to syphon that area out as much out as possible and see if you can re arrange your power heads to get a little more flow in that area.

Red planaria (little brown flatworms) are feeding on the tank's excess nutrients. Either remove these nutrients, or remove the flatworms. Salifort Flatworm Exit is very safe and easy to use. The warnings are overblown unless you have such a bad infestation, they measure in the millions. I like to run it in extra strong dose. Just net and filter them out as they die and get blown into thew water column. Keep the skimmer and carbon off until the job is fully done. Can take a couple days to get to all the nooks and crannies and deep into the sand. If fish show any signs of distress, end treatment and water change/filter immediately

planaria - if you want to try natural way you can try a 6 line wrasse to eat them and a couple dragon face pipe fish to eat the eggs between the rocks.

I did nothing about my red planaria worms and within a week or two the numbers went down and now are completely gone. I would keep an eye on it and see if it takes care of itself. I hate treating my tank with anything though- I usually always lose at least 1 coral when I do :-(

Flat Worms... Found them in my 40gal sucked as many as we could out every water change over a two month period. I havent seen any since last year. :)

Back