help me identify this bad @$$ tort

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mellowhead

Thanks Guys:D

tort.jpg

MH

looks like an ORA Blue/Green Tortusa. I have one just like it. Great looking coral as it grows.

If you do not mind..can you tell me about the placement of this coral in your tank. i.e. very high, strong flow, etc. I would hate for this coral to lose its color;)

Thanks Again,
MH

Is this an ORA tort or the new unnamed blue/green ORA piece?? I noticed some pics of this exact coral on another forum and they were basically arguing about what it is. Neither of my tort's, ORA or cali have that much green on the inner branching. All of my tort's are in the top half of my tank under 250w 10k reeflux lighting. They get good back and forth flow.

What kind of lighting are you running?? That will help in placement but it would need to be acclimated by moving up slowly.

I have a blue cali tort and the green on the inside of the branches is very pronounced. It wasnt there so much when I first got it, but it has really come out in the last month.

The tank it came out of had 10k halides. The tank it went in to is a T5 unit with a heavy blue spectrum. I couldnt say for certain what brings out the green but my bet would be on how heavly wieghted your lights are to the blue spectrum.

reeflux 10k's, lots of blue but not to the point of 14,15 or 20k. My blues are incredible, but my cali tortuosa is midnight blue. My ORA tort is solid oregon blue. Not a hint of green. The thread I was referring to had a new ORA unnamed piece that now out there on a limited availability. It was exactly like this piece. Blue tips and green on the inner branches.

I have mine place high up in my tank. I have it under 400 watt 10k reeflux bulbs. I find that I get good polyp extension with high flow. I had a pretty heated debate with the lfs that I bought this from a few weeks ago. I told him that I believe their might be 2 different ORA blue torts or something because the one's I have seen looked to be completedly blue. He said he spoke with ORA and was told this was the blue tort. I also just recently got a new one that is called ORA Roscoes acropora. It is new new one and has green polyps, blue tips and greenish base. Amazing the poly extension on this new coral. Supposedly it is named after one of the ORA employees dog Roscoe.

The other one I just got is called the german acro. It is neon green with blue polyps pretty cool looking coral as well. As far as I know the Roscoes, German Acro, and Pink with purple polyp birdsnest are the 3 newest ORA corals released. Luckily my lfs had all 3 so I bought them as soon as they showed up.

yes, the german green acro is a relatively new ORA piece. Its a very nice coral. The thing that leads me to think this isn't the cali/ORA tort. is how much green is on the inner branches. Usually if the green does show it's only on the very deep inside of the branches and that most of the branch is blue.

Is this an ORA tort or the new unnamed blue/green ORA piece?? I noticed some pics of this exact coral on another forum and they were basically arguing about what it is. Neither of my tort's, ORA or cali have that much green on the inner branching. All of my tort's are in the top half of my tank under 250w 10k reeflux lighting. They get good back and forth flow.

What kind of lighting are you running?? That will help in placement but it would need to be acclimated by moving up slowly.

Lighting = 2 Hamilton 14k 175w moguls on both ends and 2 XM 10k 250w moguls in the center. 2 60" VHO Super Actinics. I saw the same arguing post you are referring to, but yesterday I did find a site that sells ORA peices and it did say ORA blue\green tort (German I think).

MH

there is the ORA german green acropora w/blue polyps, and the ORA tortuosa. The ORA german green acropora doesn't have any of the blue on the branches, just the blue polyps. I have it and the ORA tortuosa. Thats what I don't get, none of my tortuosa's have any green on them. My cali tort is a solid midnight blue and my ORA tort. is a blue like the oregon tort. Both solid colors.

there is the ORA german green acropora w/blue polyps, and the ORA tortuosa. The ORA german green acropora doesn't have any of the blue on the branches, just the blue polyps. I have it and the ORA tortuosa. Thats what I don't get, none of my tortuosa's have any green on them. My cali tort is a solid midnight blue and my ORA tort. is a blue like the oregon tort. Both solid colors.

I agree it is odd, but nice piece nonetheless.

I agree that it is a nice coral. Maybe after some growth it'll help more. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks, I will enjoy and will post back for some growth shots;)

All of my friends call it the xmas tree, like from Dr. Seuss or something:lol:

awsome stuff cobber
when everyone says ORA does that stand from oragen? sorry if i spelt it wrong, if so how can u calla greman coral ORA greman tort? i realize theres no ocean for it to be collected locally so has it then gone from oragen to gremans changed colours and cum back again? i realize it is hard to id corals from pics but i do prefer scientific names
the real point is we cant ship coral to australia and i want to find sumthing like this and need to tell me lfs owner so he can collect sum for me

thanx alot and sorry for the long msg

ORA stands for Oceans, Reefs and Aquariums. http://orafarm.com They are a coral grower and captive fish breeding outfit in florida.

Thank goodness you exlained that Sue. I was truely in the dark about the whole ORA brand name and glad you pointed us here. I assume this one is the one they call "Blue Tort Staghorn - Acropora tortuosa"?

Hey Ben I was just glad I could help in that way. As far as this coral, thats what we were trying to figure out. It does have the stag growth form/shape, but I have never seen a tort. with that much green on the inner branching. Some have hints of green but not near this much.

Back