help me identify this bad @$$ tort

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a piece very similar to that one, perhaps a little more blue but quite close. I assumed it was a cali tort, but that said, in my experience corals from the same mother colony will look different in my tank than in a buddy's who I gave a frag to. The way these acro's morph is interesting so it's not always easy to accurately id them, especially if they are a frag from a frag and so on. I even have several acro's that are from the same colony but look very different just from being in different areas in the same aquarium.

I am 100% certain that this is the ORA Blue Tort. I've several straight from ORA. What lights do you have them under? I've found that under 10K, the blue is.... blue. However, for another system I'm running Radiums on HQI ballasts, and while there is a lot of blue, the inner branches are greenish like in the picture.

I am 100% certain that this is the ORA Blue Tort. I've several straight from ORA. What lights do you have them under? I've found that under 10K, the blue is.... blue. However, for another system I'm running Radiums on HQI ballasts, and while there is a lot of blue, the inner branches are greenish like in the picture.

This pic was probably taken with just my Hamilton 14k's and 1 VHO bulb runnning, as I took the pic seconds after placing it into the tank. I have 2 14k's and 2 XM 10k's, so I will have to take a pic with all of the lights on, but this coral is freakin sweet and I cannot wait to see it grow into a colony:D

MH

I have my ORA tort about in the top 3rd of my rock structure. About 18" from a 250w 10k reeflux. It has the solid brilliant blue. My cali tort is very close to the top of my rock structure. It is a deep midnight blue and again solid in it's coloration. My oregon tort is also in the mid to top 3rd of tank and just off center of a halide. I find placement ket in these type corals. Seems like my myagi tort is much less demanding than the blues.

Back