help me on return pump for my new 125

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krowleey

duel overflows, all glass reef ready tank. internal and external options much appreciated. a buddy of mine is saying to go for about 7-900 gph return pump. any advise? thank you!

What size is your sump and ar you gonna have a "fuge" in it?
That does make a differance.
usually for a "sump" no more that 5-10x tank size.
so 900 should be good.

cool!
You might want to make three sections out of your 55 gallon
one side being a fuge and the other far side being your sump with skimmer and what not and your middle compartment for your return pump so you can put a ball valve on the fuge side to limit the flow!
and let the other side rip full strength to the skimmer and stuff and a middle return to get both sides of the water!
Some others might help more with better advice!
Thats just what I've learned and it works great!
SLOW flow in fuge is good for contact time!
If you did it like this you can have a good return pump to max out the overflows!

i had a mag12 pump for my return on my 125.. it was a little noisy, but i put some padding under it ..i also used a 55g for a sump.. my skimmer literally had no extra room to move!

Eheim makes a great 900gph pump, probably would work well for your tank, another option if you go external would be panworld.

I use an Eheim 1260 on my 120g, works great. Eheim pumps are known for quiet operation and reliability without generating much heat, which is why they're more expensive than Mag Drive pumps of the same power. The 1260 is only about 500 gph (with 4 feet of head) which is a bit low for my 120, but everything in my tank looks fine and the temp stays stable, so I'm keeping it. I don't run a skimmer so I'm not worried about getting high turnover from the tank into the skimmer.

mkay, imo this is one of the biggest mistake areas in reefing....
people attempt to make their sump pumps accomodate the high flow requirements of the main display, and in reality your sump only needs about 3x going through it, in fact it will allow your skimmer, carbon filters, refugiums to all effect and clean the water more efficienty if the process water is moving slower through the sump. and it uses less watts.
so what you should really be looking for is a pump that will have 375-400gph of flow @ 4' of head, i would suggest an eheim 1260 (600gph) with a valve to adjust the flow, if needed.

i agree... your sump does not have to be a white water rapid...

i would rate your pump at 900gph... thats gonna make it less with the head lag..

you will loose so flow from the up hill climb

Actually the 1262 Eheim (898gph max 11.8 ft head) would probably be a tad better just in case you want to feed something else off it in the sump, why not go a little more IMO won't hurt.

Back