HELP! Me set up a 125 SPS tank..please!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

o.k. I'm following you so far....btw...thanks for everything mojo..I really appreciate it!

Ok after talking to you and finding out you can get a hole drilled and that the 4 way OM is now 400 bucks, I figure its better to go with the MBV. SO here is a quick drawing to give you the idea. I will draw another one for the manifold so you can see how it looks. On the pump it doesnt have to be a ampmaster, but something around that ize should be good

41shannonscl.jpg

Mike

thanks mike...lol..now why is that when you actually see it in person on paper that it's easier to comprehend?? lol I guess that's what I get for being blond...btw...I checked again on the om site and you were right on the price...the 4 way is only 279 right now..not sure where I got the other $ from...I swear I saw it on there somewhere...lol
sorry for making you work with an airhead...lol
nvm..I now know where I got it from...I was counting in the revolutions also..

Ok here is what I was thinking. We come up to the manifold with flexable pvc so we can pinch the manifolds close together. On the drawing everwhere you see a tee, look to the exploded vies above for the detail. What it basically is, is a manifold built with tee's and pipe, 4 tees on each side, each tee points down and has a 1 1/2 slip by 3/4 threaded female adapter in it, the a peice of locline screws into that. Now its important that all the locline be submerged, so dry fit and look, you may have to extend the tee down a bit , if so I will give you the parts you need. Space the tee's that come into the tank evenly and so it doesnt get in the way of the bracing. Tie the mainfold (once built) to the bracing with electrical ties to sturdy it up. end each manifold about 2 inches away from the overflow on each side. Try to make the manifold on the center end as close to each other as possible. once it is all together and running with water and rock you can adjust the loclines to go where you want, you should have two from each side pointing down to sweep the bottom of the tank then two controlling the middle of the tank and then use your return lines for blowing across the top of the water surface.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

41shannons_clmanifold.jpg

LOL oh yea now you tell me!!! Ok here are the pros and cons as I see them between the MBV and the OM. The ocean motion has 4 outputs only so we would have to cover the whole tank with just four outs, unless we did some tricky plumbing, which might not look that good. So for a tank 6 feet long I would say the eight is poblibly the best way to go. Now the biggest difference is that the OM spends just 7 seconds per outlet, so the over all flow willl be more like a pulsating action. Plus we will have to run a pipe from each outlet on the circle manifold,this will create alot of plumbing, if it was acrylic we could drill high and low which would look alot more neater.
On the MBV it shoots all the water from the pump out one side at a time, then as one side shuts down the other opens up. So this will allow for a smaller pump because it only comes out one at a time. With the timer you can set the time at which the valve switches over, so from 1 minute to what ever. Bad side is that you have to buy a timer for it and wire it.
The OM 8 way is = cant find the link
1 1/2 mbv = 380 with the timer

let me know and we can change it up if you wish

Mike

o.k. I got it...but that's not to say that your phone won't be ringing when I actually try to set it up...lol

Hey Mike, someone told me the OM now has the ability to go for a longer period of time (minutes)....that there are some type of switches on it that controls length of time "on". I haven't checked on it, yet, but that was the most recent argument posed to me with MBV vs. OM.

Oh and specsgirl - don't worry about being an airhead....Mike's used to it => me :lol:

lol...glad to meet another fellow airhead then...hehe
Once we all unite it's going to be "world look out" lol

I'd go with an ETSS 600 or an 800 if you have the cash. You will never have to worry if either skimmer is going to be enough! Good luck, and post some pic's. Where are you located in the country? Mike

I got the stand plans...now just have to start on it..things have been crazy here with the holidays and everything!
I'm located in the middle of Wisconsin...only a couple hours from the Canadian border.

Hey mojo...quick question. For the bh imput on the back of the tank you have a 1 1/2 size. Can I get away with a 2" hole instead? The 1 1/2 hole saw I have is shot, but I do have a 2" handy.

you have to make sure that the bulkhead will fit in the hole properly, with out leaving to much play. So line up the bh with the hole saw and it should answer that question for ya

Mike

sorry I should of been more clear...I guess that was the blond talking. I was wondering if I can get away with a 2" bulkhead instead of the 1 1/2 that you had specified. I realize this requires a hole bigger than 2".

I posted in the wrong place so sorry the information I posted I should have put in the flow workshop so I moved it there sorry. paul

Last edited:
plack said:
I was thinking of a different much cheaper approach but am unsure if it would work see if you can follow my description (this is not my strong point!!!) I am considering using one pump to go into a tank at 8 places the pump will have a manufacturer made splitter so that right out of the pump Ø1.5" gets split into eight Ø.75" tubes now on the way i would like to have four scwd used to make it more random and I have not thought through exactly how that could be done. If i combined two Ø.75" into the input of one swcd then had it switching between the two Ø.75 I would have the pump having different pressure rates at different times that might not be so good then again it might not be so bad and have similar to an oceans motion for the cost of 4 swcd devices one of which i already have. Please any thoughts on this is it crazy would it ruin an Amp master 4700 hp superaquasea pump ?

I have a 1900 GPH pump running two scwds and a sprays bar and sometimes I wonder if the pump is too much for them. I have to turn it down some and have more pressure on the spray bar. A 4700 may be too much for four scwds.

Back