Help my Yasha!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I came home the other day and found my poor Yasha goby just floating around in the current. I thought he was dead so I fished him out with a net but I noticed he was still alive and moving a bit. I put him back into the tank but kept him in a small container so he wouldn't get blown around. I noticed he seemed to have a hard time staying on the bottom and the back of his body looked like it wanted to fload. I didn't give him much of a chance but he seemed to have improved over the past three days, eating and acting normal again. Today I released him back into the tank and he went back into his favorite corner only to be blowing around in the current again within 10 minutes. I've had him for about three and a half years now, is he just getting old and running out of steam? Any ideas? I would hate to loose the first fish I ever bought :(

I'll move this to Lee's forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your Yasha troubles! Can you set up a QT? I didn't think Gobies had a swim bladder, so I can't imagine it would be a swim bladder problem. We'll see what Lee thinks...

In the meantime, can you post some more information for Lee? Tank specs, last fish added, how long you had the Yasha, other inhabitants, etc.

In the meantime, can you post some more information for Lee? Tank specs, last fish added, how long you had the Yasha, other inhabitants, etc.

Sure. He is in my 65G tank, the last fish I added was my Tailspot Blenny about 3-4 months ago, and I've had the Yasha for over three years. The other inhabitants are a firefish, pair of clowns, tailspot Blenny, Cherub Angel, and that's it for other fish. Everyone else seems to be happy and healthy. The goby still eats and acts normal...when he isn't in the flow of course. I thought he may have been stung by my RBTA or something but that is the best I can come up with. Thanks for any help.

I have never kept one of these Gobies. They are relatively recent additions to the ornamental marine fish trade. Particularly attractive and also entertaining in their relationship with shrimp.

In general, Gobies do not live a long life. It is hard to tell how old this fish might be when it was acquired. Like humans, when the fish gets old it dies from a 'cause' similar to diseases, infections, etc.

The symptom you have mentioned similarly matches that of an internal or bladder infection. You may try an antibiotic treatment that goes through the skin (not ingested by food). One such is Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes. If you use this one, double the initial dosage recommended by the product insert/packaging. The treatment is done in a hospital tank.

I appreciate your response Lee. I am having my doubts that he is having an issue with his swim bladder so I am hesitate to start any type of treatment. Besides, he only seemed to have that issue for the first day as has been fairly normal ever since. As to his condition now, he seems normal as can be...other than living inside of a tupperware container with a rock holding it down :) I might give him a few more days and then see if he can be released. I'm hoping he just needs to build his strength back up or something before he can handle the flow once again.

Back