Help! Need advice on cleaning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ciao

Reef Newbie (SOS PLEASE!)
So when I bought my used tank, it had some mineral deposits on the side of the tank caused by the previous owner placing a fountain near the tank and the splash getting on the tank. The glass now has this film of mineral deposits on it that I can't seem to get off it. I've tried using BAM and CLR(using a wet paper towels to apply and keep the chemicals on the affected area without it getting into the tank) and it still does no good. It's sort of make that side viewing area unsightly and I would really like to get it off. Does anybody know of anything else I can use to get it off or buff it out with??

Thanks

Are you dure it's just deposits and that the glass isn't etched? If a razor blade doesn't do the trick I'd suspect that it may be etching.

Are you dure it's just deposits and that the glass isn't etched? If a razor blade doesn't do the trick I'd suspect that it may be etching.

I know it's not etching because if I work at it hard enough with my fingernails, it scratches off. As for using a razor blade, I guess it would work but that's a lot work it seems and I don't think I could get it all off with that. That's why I was asking if I could buff it out with something.

The razor blade would be alot less work then using your fingernail LOL. Anyhow razors are great at scraping things off of glass.

You Need to use a mixture of Muratic acid ( sold in hardware stores to clean brick's) and water. Maybe 4 times more water than the acid and use rubber gloves and be carefull and do this outside as he fumes are VERY strong.

:)

Paul

Back