Help on 4 month old tank needed!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

waynemark

Hi have a four month old tank, just wondering on any ideas on what to add to tank at this point, corals or fish? currently have clean up crew including shrimp, damsel and pulsars. have posted picture on members gallery.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

:) :) :)

I not sure what kind of corals you are really into...softies, lps??? But IMO I would get rid of that Damsel before adding alot of stuff, he might end up being troublesome down the road when trying to add new Fish.

I would start with adding some test corals.Like mushrooms,star polyps and some other softies like leathers.And see how they do .If your tank is 4 months old it has alot of matureing to do.Try getting some frags if possible it is a cheap way of testing if corals will like your tank.I have a mixed coral tank and some corals don't like my system and some flourish .So that is just my opinion .I could be wrong!!!!!!!!Good luck :)

help

i have a freind who is sorting some frags out soon so will go ahead with that i think and see how we go

and get rid of damsel which was always my intention

have a Xenia which seems to be doing fine hope to see it grow

Welcome to RF! Don't feel too bad about not having corals 4 months in. I'm 9 months in and still waiting(LOL) You can never wait too long IMO, but if you go to add any more fish, I'd add them slowly so as to build up the proper bacteria to handle the extra load:)

also green algae is forming all over LR is this good heard so many different things from other people. i had major problem with brown algae but all clear now.
:) :) :)

I started with the brown algae and after it cleared up the green stuff came in. Eventually it ran its course and is now gone. There are a variety of things you can do to fight it but the best thing is to outlast it. If you are doing everything else right (RO/DI water, cleanup crew, proper filtration) the green stuff will go away.

Good Luck!

Tim

My tank has been up for about 3 years now .I have moved the tank 2 times and upgraded from a 65 to a 90 .Same bioload and live rock.Always adding live rock.And Have switched lighting 3 times.My tank has gone thru so many cycle's .I stop counting but alot.If i could start all over i would have bought everything right in the begining but i was being cheap and now i have 4 tanks,3 Lights and 3 filters my woman is going crazy...LOL...:lol:..But as far as my opinion I would try to get Metal halide lighting early..And a refugium for filtration and live rock added till your happy with aqua scape..I have been buying live rock for about 7 years and still need more..But ...Welcome to RF ..Im sure you will love it here..

Back