Help on balancing CA, KH, and Mg.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

There is no need to run numbers that high. Stability is the key not elevated numbers. Its much easier to maintain reasononable specs than it is to hold high numbers for no reason.

Don

There is no need to run numbers that high. Stability is the key not elevated numbers. Its much easier to maintain reasononable specs than it is to hold high numbers for no reason.

Don
Hmm, with all due respect, there are reasons such as running at 1500-1700 ppm to eradicate some types of algae with no adverse affects on the other inhabitants of the tank...and others. You are just not aware of them.

Thanks again every1.

Went BR yesturday and replaced all my filter and media in my RODI. They also test my RO prior to replacing and they said it was good. Waking up this morning and mixed some IO to see if it is really my salt. After testing still reads 1600+. Sigh

would the temp for water cost for high Mg? I also went out to petsmart and purchase a 50 gal of IO salt mix and still have same problem?

Last edited:
Thanks again every1.

Went BR yesturday and replaced all my filter and media in my RODI. They also test my RO prior to replacing and they said it was good. Waking up this morning and mixed some IO to see if it is really my salt. After testing still reads 1600+. Sigh

would the temp for water cost for high Mg? I also went out to petsmart and purchase a 50 gal of IO salt mix and still have same problem?

It happens from time to time. No salt is perfect.

Don

Hmm, with all due respect, there are reasons such as running at 1500-1700 ppm to eradicate some types of algae with no adverse affects on the other inhabitants of the tank...and others. You are just not aware of them.

No it's something in Tech M not the high MG. High Mg has no affect on Byropsis. It only works with Kent Tech M.

Don

Last edited:
No it's something in Tech M not the high MG. High Mg has no affect on Byropsis. It only works with Kent Tech M. 1 year now and NO nuisance algae at all.

Don

Very true and proven. Also speaking from personal experience. I use no other Mag supplement but Kent Tech-M and I always run my mag at 1500.

I think you worry too much (chuckle!).

My aquarium has been up for approx 8 months now with no purple coraline algae growing on the rocks yet. Thinking about adding the supplement but was hoping it will grow naturally. Also my Sunny D and chaos zoas is not liking the water. Want a stable tank before all my nice corals go ca-poop!!!!

APch1ll3n

FYI, many of us run our Mag in the 1500-1800 range, for various reasons. The correct ratio is 3:1 Mag to Cal. Your other option on the salt mix is to simply raise the Cal to 500 to get the ratio close. I have my cal at 450-500 all the time as I run mag at 1350-1500.

Pinkfloydfan Can you talk more about the Mag to Cal ratio. I also read somewhere about the 3:1 ratio but forgot where I got it from. Is it true? that the number usually 3:1 that being said you don't have to check your Mag if you know your Cal level ?

Pinkfloydfan Can you talk more about the Mag to Cal ratio. I also read somewhere about the 3:1 ratio but forgot where I got it from. Is it true? that the number usually 3:1 that being said you don't have to check your Mag if you know your Cal level ?
It is true. Check the chart here; Composition of seawater I have this bookmarked as it is real informative. You do have to check your Mag because because 3:1 is the sea level ratio but that does not mean your tank is "in ratio." Remember, the ocean is a vast ecosystem and the ratios rarely are out of ratio, unlike our tanks which are so small compared to the ocean and can barely mimic any true relation to an ocean. Many aquarists are constantly adding Cal to get to a certain PPM not realizing the Mag "holds" the Cal. If you are having a difficult time raising the Cal for example, it is a good indication the Mag isn't at the correct level to hold the Cal where you want it. If though your Cal is holding steady where you want, say 420 ppm it is a safe bet your Mag is around 1260 ppm. I hope this answers your question.

Back