HELP!!! Problems with my new True Perculas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How exactly do you do formalin dips? Add formalin to the water or use pure formalin? thanks

I would like to know exactly how to do this too.

I just got home and they look the same as yesterday but they still don't want to eat so I guess I'm going to have to setup a qt asap.

Can you please tell me all I need to get set it up?

No air pump? How big does it have to be? Should I fill it with freshly mixed salt water or water from the tank?

Last edited:
I set up the qt Tonight, I could not find the Formalin though. I will try some other fish stores Tomorrow. The fishes seem ok but still not eating.

They don't sell formalin in CA from what I understand. Got to get it third party.I am sure someone on here can help you out.

I would think that if this were Brook, the Clowns would be showing other symptoms by now..Take at look at this link, it has photos of both ich and Brook..Did you do some reading on both?

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127010

Get some Cyclopeeze, small Clowns LOVE this stuff..It has always worked for me. If not available at your local stores, you can order it online from Premium Aquatics or Fosters and Smith..Dapnia is another good food for small Clowns, but Cyclopeeze will get them eating.
Formalin can also be ordered from Fosters and smith..I'd go ahead and order it, but it looks as though you MAY not need it

Last edited:
Formalin used to be commonly available. Then it was deemed 'too dangerous' for the public to use so it became harder and harder to find. You may find it at a store that caters to pond keepers. They usually use it for ponds.

If you can't find it, you may find a product called Formalin3 on the LFS shelf. This is NOT Formalin but a diluted solution of the real Formalin. You can use this, but you have to do a calculation to determine how much to use in order to match Formalin's original strength. In essence, Formalin3 is a 10% diluting of Formalin.

Good luck! :)

I have been reading for the past 2 days about Brook and honestly it does not seem to be it.

BTTRFLYGRL: thanks a lot for that link but seriously my clowns do not look like the ones in the pictures with Brook. I will try to find some Cyclopeeze Today too.

I'm going to take some new pictures this afternoon to see if we can better diagnose the problem, in the meantime I will try to get the Formalin asap.

Thanks for your help guys!

Like i said in that last Pick they really looked good in the QT, better picks will help for sure, I would pick up some of Kent's Garlic Extreme, soak it in the food, the oder is an attractant & just may entice them into eating, if that is the only thing it does, I say It does it well. I feel bad for your issues man, I know you were very patient & your tank is well cycled after all these months, hope they can pull through.

I already tried the garlic from another brand since I could not find the Kent one. I knew these things happen and even though I was very patient I ignored the suggestions about the QT so I guess I just learned my lesson the hard way.

I have to admit this if very discouraging and disappointing but it won't stop me from moving forward. I will do everything I can to get these babies well but if I'm not successful, I will try it again until I get right, I am no quitter.

Wish me luck!

i don't know about the pellets but i soak my frozen cyclopeeze in a little ro water and then i just feed it with a turkey baster to my corals and fishes :) .

I finally found the Formalin, I had to drive over to a store that is 1 hour away from home and with the Friday afternoon traffic!!! Anyway, I'm going to prepare everything to give them the first bath. Once again, please wish me luck!!!!

Back